School starting

Off topic discussion.
JK2946
Kokoro Robot

School starting

Postby JK2946 » 9 years ago

So, for me anyways I am starting the first of my college years this Monday. :cry: For any of y'all who will be attending school, when will it start for you? And Let this be a discussion on a topic of what will you expect for this semester/year.

For me I hope for more guidance into a field that I will take up, so far I'm only interested in mechanical engineering. I've even considered nuclear engineering, however that's slowly faded out of grasp and into a dream. But what I guess I'm trying to say is that I hope to narrow down to something that I really like.

So what about you? Any majors that you are interested in? What kind of year do you want to/ hope to have? Or maybe what kind of goals do you want to accomplish?

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

Just started my 5th year of college last Monday, which if everything goes according to plan, should be my last year of college. I'll be graduating in May with a Bachelor's Degree in English with a focus in Professional Writing and a minor in Religious Studies. There's an internship class I have to take next semester, so that may end up becoming my job following graduation. If not, I'm still considering what kind of job to apply for. I'm thinking that I want to be an article writer, blogger, or something similar. I know for sure though that I would not want to be a teacher. I'm keeping my options open at this point though.

My main hope for this semester though is just to get through it. I've always dreaded school, but college is much better than middle and high school ever was for me. Fortunately, the workload doesn't seem like it will be overwhelming this semester. I have quite a bit of free time to get it done too, which always helps.

As for expectations...eh...not expecting anything too different this semester except for setting up my internship at the end. Otherwise, it'll be business as usual for me.

JK2946: Don't worry too much about narrowing down your job field interests right now. You should certainly be thinking about it, but you still have a lot of time to decide what you want to do before you graduate. I didn't know what job field I wanted to go into until the end of my second year of college. Even then, I don't know specifically what kind of job I want at this point.

Anyway, best of luck to you JK2946 in your first year of college. I remember that year being a little tough for me, but things got better as time went on. Also, best of luck in deciding your career path. It's certainly not easy deciding what you want to do for a career, but it's not impossible. :)
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

Shiyonasan:
I guess you either got trapped in the game many schools are playing these days with class schedules designed to make it impossible to finish a four year degree, in four years. Or maybe, you changed majors, or transferred between schools as I did when I was in college many years ago. Good luck in the job hunt down the road, it can be rough for English majors as I hope my daughter doesn't find out down the road.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:Shiyonasan:
I guess you either got trapped in the game many schools are playing these days with class schedules designed to make it impossible to finish a four year degree, in four years. Or maybe, you changed majors, or transferred between schools as I did when I was in college many years ago. Good luck in the job hunt down the road, it can be rough for English majors as I hope my daughter doesn't find out down the road.

I changed my major at the end of my second year. I was originally a University Studies major (didn't know what career path I wanted at that point), which is probably the most non-specific major you can have. Even my University Studies adviser told me that I should switch majors. I had wanted to get a more specific major even before I switched, so that was reason enough to switch majors.

I think it's more common for people in my generation to take longer than four years to get a Bachelor's Degree or higher. Heck, it took me three years to get my Associate's.

Also, thanks for the good luck. I know all too well the warning about English majors having a rough time finding a job. I've heard it from numerous people. Good luck to your daughter as well.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

It took my partner 3 years to complete their AA, 3 years to complete their BA and probably will take as long to finish up their Masters. It's pretty commonplace now to take a little longer than what is considered "normal" to finish a degree, especially when most people actually fail aptitude tests fresh from high school.

This was the case with both my partner and myself. We both got astounding scores for Science, Reading and Writing but our Math scores were PATHETIC. Because of this we had to take math classes that were not "college level" and work up, which added time to our degrees. This also made it impossible for me to continue my astronomy major.

It all depends. People also have families and work while taking classes and sometimes can't take as many classes as they might want to due to time constraints.

I myself right now am focusing on my BA with an intention of being a Sexologist.

Good luck to everyone in actually finding jobs after they get their degrees! My best friend got their BA last year in Biology and has been working at Jimmy Johns since... :cry: So much for a college education.

Also, school starts on the 24th here.
Last edited by Earthshine on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

JK2946: When I was in Junior college, I had classes in various subjects, though initially computer science. As I was at that time, just killing time, I took various topics, though if I had it to do over, I would have pursued the GENERAL STUDIES AA degree from the start. This way, you get a sampling of various disciplines, & can then decide what major to pursue in university (assuming you intend a bachelors). I wish I had taken some literature classes at this stage, as I learned all too late, how much I enjoyed them. I enrolled in business math, but lost interest, & forgot to withdraw: 'F'! :cry: :d oh:

Shiyonasan: my major in university was HUMANITIES, which gave me much broader choices than if I had chosen HISTORY; anyway, I also found religion an interesting subject, & added to it a course based upon Joseph Campbell's lectures on mythology.

The university catered to online & other types of distance education, & in support of these had video lectures on the school's cable network. So I watched all but 1 of the lectures (because the guys running the station were students, & messed up the schedule), and even before (I think) enrolling in that class, had changed my minor from communications to psychology, because of Campbell's frequent mentions of Jung's theories.

So I had a fair balance between humanities & actual science classes, with CRITICAL APPROACHES TO READING & WRITING, centering on interpretation of FRANKENSTEIN :d evil: & CRITICAL THINKING, which included the most common of the logical fallacies. I had room for 2 literature classes, 1 of which was mentioned above, the other was MEDIEVAL MYTH & MODERN NARRATIVE, which covered both Wagner's & the LORD OF THE RINGS. It took up the other viewpoint in the BEOWULF story, in a book called GRENDEL. :lol:

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 9 years ago

School is starting for me this upcoming tuesday September 2nd. I'm super excited to be going to an new school and all since I was in elementary for about ten years now. I'm finally off to high school. Although I'm a little nervous for the first day since the school is quite large, and my classes are quite far apart... I feel as if I won't make it to class on time . Any ways I decided to drop in because I haven't stopped by here in awhile and I felt as if I should say hello to you guys :) since you've supported me in a lot of things I've done
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

I'm "looking forward" to another year of terribly tiring math exams and tests, I suppose; good thing I've been studying a lot lately, for practice.

Sorry I haven't logged in for such a while, by the way; but I probably mentioned before that school stuff is getting more difficult, so I won't be very active online for an year or two. :)

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

School in Asia is brutal, I remember having a friend from South Korea who was an exchange student that was very elated to go to high school in America for one year. She was really surprised that a typical American school day was only about 7 hours long and after-school activities rarely dragged on and on. She was used to 12 hour school days plus 4 hours at an academy along with extra curricular activities. The saddest thing she noted was that despite how LONG her days used to be... she didn't really learn any more or less than the information taught in our school system, and in fact thrived better, even with a language barrier.

I really feel for you, while you're not in South Korea I can imagine that it's still comparatively time-consuming.

Return to “General Discussion”