Harry Potter

Off topic discussion.
Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Harry Potter

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

I've been re-reading the books these weeks and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is now officially on my list of favorite novels. (Not too fond of the movies, though; sorry.) The concepts about life, death and afterlife are very interesting and deep in that book. It's great.

My least favorite book was The Half-Blood Prince. It's still a good book, but the romance could have been better. It felt a bit too rushed and forced to me, if you know what I mean.

By the way, perhaps some of you have heard of the famous "bad" fan fiction, My Immortal before? Well, lately someone has posted a fan fiction that some people say is worse than My Immortal. It's called Hogwarts School of Prayer and Miracles, supposedly written by a Christian mother, "Mrs. Grace Ann", who re-wrote the series for her children in order that she did not want them to "turn into witches". The whole story was so ludicrous, offensive and poorly written - it also contained some rather terrible political and sexist beliefs...not very good for children - and many people were angered by the whole fanfic...until the writer obviously declared it a trollfic in the last chapter. Have a look if you're interested. (I'm not going to do it again in fear of losing my brain cells):

(Link removed)

Have a good laugh, folks.
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 9 years ago

"Windswept Cloak" wrote:I've been re-reading the books these weeks and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is now officially on my list of favorite novels. (Not too fond of the movies, though; sorry.)

I agree, books are usually better than what Hollywood can put on the big screen. Although for me the one exception is Fight Club. Don't get me wrong, the book was good, but the movie was excellent and is still one of my faves.
"Windswept Cloak" wrote:The whole story was so ludicrous, offensive and poorly written - it also contained some rather terrible political and sexist beliefs...not very good for children

Considering your opinion, I'm a bit curious as to why you chose to post the link here?

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Good point, I forgot that there might be children on the site too. The link is now removed.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

Hollywood really does have it tough when it comes to adapting books into movies because a lot has to be considered... but overall I am in agreement that books usually are much better than their movie counterparts. However in some instances I will prefer to watch the movie than read the book(s) for many different reasons. One such instance is the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy - I just cannot stand Tolkien's writing style. I respect his mind and his world building for what it is, but I'm not fond of having to read 5 pages of him describing the history of a sword and then glazing over important events. The movies (for me anyway) streamlined the adventure even if many crucial details had to changed or even omitted entirely.

As for the Harry Potter series... I admit I've only seen 3 films and have only read 1 book :p I'm not much of a fan of the series but have nothing negative to say about it. I remember the fic My Immortal though (it was all people could talk about when I was in high school).

Windswept Cloak
Banned

I've never read Lord of the Rings before, but no matter how interesting the world the author created is, I probably won't read it. When choosing books, I prefer reading ones about real life - I guess Harry Potter is an exception for me because it has many life lessons and messages behind a layer of magic. I prefer fantasy stories that are "crossed over with reality".
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 9 years ago

I've read the books and saw the movies, and clearly the movies are losing from the books. Not to say they are bad of course, personally I usually see the movies created after books as a way to "see" the story. Not too bad for someone like me who has next to zero imagination :p

My favorite book would be the Half-Blood Prince. I don't really care about the "romance" (and in fact I don't even remember it). What I remember about it is that it goes deeply into Voldemor's backstory, which until that book was only sparse. That is where we can understand how a gifted little boy fell to the "dark side", and where we can understand all of his psychology. Next to that book, my favorite is the Deathly Hallows, again for the details on the backstories (such as Dumbledor's, which we can see from several points of view, and that makes it even more interesting).
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

Postby Daiya Mondo » 9 years ago

admittedly, i've only seen the movies and read two books. out of order (prisoner of azkaban then the philosopher's stone years later). i really, really, really liked the movies as a kid, and i still do now... though my liking of the series might have had some less than pure intentions (*cough*danielradcliffe*cough*) even when i was only 11-12.

those intentions might have been the reason why i liked "the goblet of fire" the best, bath scene and all. ignoring that, i felt that it was the most fun for me to watch! i know that voldemort was always a threat but i definitely felt that it was official when in book/movie 4.

there were a lot of stupid changes in the movies, one i could think off the top of my head is ginny being the one asking who krum was and not harry? it would make more sense for harry, a boy who doesn't know a lot about wizard/witch culture(?) asking about who these athletes are. rather than a girl that goes on to be on a professional qudditch team? i hated so much of the romances that weren't ron/hermione, even ignoring my own dumb ships hahah

i wrote a lot of embarrassing fanfiction for harry potter on quizilla, but it was deleted by staff sadly. so i couldn't archive it. thinking about what i had wrote, it honestly would have been harder to read than "my immortal". MI was really bad and dumb, yeah but it wasn't hateful as mine was, if it makes sense?

anyway, i guess i'm more of a fan of the films than the books! i really should read them at some point, but they're all in storage. OTL.
ImageImage!

icon commissioned by birries!

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"Daiya Mondo" wrote:admittedly, i've only seen the movies and read two books. out of order (prisoner of azkaban then the philosopher's stone years later).

anyway, i guess i'm more of a fan of the films than the books! i really should read them at some point, but they're all in storage. OTL.

I really recommend the seventh book. To me, it's the best out of the seven.

"Daiya Mondo" wrote:i really, really, really liked the movies as a kid, and i still do now... though my liking of the series might have had some less than pure intentions (*cough*danielradcliffe*cough*) even when i was only 11-12.

those intentions might have been the reason why i liked "the goblet of fire" the best, bath scene and all. ignoring that, i felt that it was the most fun for me to watch!

In that case, I am assuming that Harry Potter is your favorite character? A lot of girls online seem to have crushes on Harry and Draco Malfoy or Sirius Black or even Professor Snape, I've discovered lately, and I've seen loads of weird pairings, be it male / male or teacher / student (such as Snape / Hermione).

(Personally, I'm just not the type of person to crush on fictional characters anymore - or even real people for that matter. Yes, I do know I used to be quite fond of Atom and Black Jack and claimed to have crushes on them, but then I found that it was just a phase. I am not interested in romance nor boys nor anything of the sort. Anyway, I've never really had a crush on any of the male characters in Harry Potter in my entire life. I don't really have a favorite character either - at least not at the moment. The whole series is filled to the brim with interesting characters and I can't possibly decide on merely one.) :tezuka:

As for pairings, I'm mostly only interested in Canon pairings (though I still wished that Harry Potter ended up with Luna Lovegood at times.) and the only male / male pairing in the whole series that I think would make sense is Gellert / Albus. After all, it's Canon, but above everything else it's a rather interesting and unexpected story.

PS: I agree about Ginny - since she grew up in a magical family and is a Quidditch fan, she's bound to know who Viktor Krum is, especially since her brother Ron probably keeps talking about him all the time back at home.
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:10 am, edited 13 times in total.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

I've seen all of the movies and enjoy them quite a bit. Been a while since I've watched them, but I tend to enjoy the later movies a bit more, especially the last two movies. Don't know if I could pick a favorite.

As for the books...well...I tried reading The Sorcerer's Stone, got to the third of fourth chapter, and had to stop. It bored me to death. Let's just say that I'm not a book reader. I've got nothing against people who enjoy the Harry Potter books, but they just aren't enjoyable to me.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Yes, the first and second books were in fact very slightly boring, but I think it's because they're Rowling's first books. They're actually rather good compared to some failr dull books I've read, though. But the rest of the series, in my opinion, were trutly enjoyable in general. I'd give the first two book seven out of ten stars, and the rest 9.5 out of ten. :tezuka:
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”