There will be a couple changes this time around:
First, there will be an ending time. This Skype meeting will start at 3 PM Eastern Time and go until 6 PM Eastern Time. To convert those times into your own time zone, click this link.
Second, I will add an extra hour under two conditions: (1) if someone can't participate until the third hour of the Skype meeting and (2) if there is a good discussion going on.
These changes are mainly to eliminate a lot of the awkward silences we end up having during these Skype meetings. It seems to happen a lot during lengthy Skype meetings; last month, the final impromptu Skype meeting went on for 5 1/2 hours, which I felt was way too long.
For the poll, the date with the most votes will be the date that the Skype meeting happens. If more than one date gets the same amount of votes, the earliest date will be the date that the Skype meeting happens.
You may vote on more than one date if you wish.
Voting will end on Thursday, June 18.
Also, if you wish to receive a reminder for this Skype meeting or future Skype meetings, send me a PM.
For those that are unfamiliar with what we do during Skype meetings, here is an FAQ:
What do we do during a Skype meeting some of you say?
- Interested members gather together at an appointed date and time during a voice-only Skype call with instant messaging and talk for a few hours about random topics, including Astro Boy. It's a laid back online get-together where you can verbally chat with fellow members and get to know them a little bit. Interested members can also join through just instant messaging if they can't use voice chat or choose to not use voice chat.
There are still a few rules that you must follow though, just like on the forum.
- You must respect your fellow members during the Skype Meeting. Discuss topics in a civil manner with each other.
- No political or religious discussion.
- You must Skype from a quiet area or area with very little background noise. If you have background noise and are unable to get rid of it within 15 minutes of joining the Skype call, I will drop you from the call and give you a chance to eliminate the background noise before allowing you back into the Skype meeting. If, when I allow you back in the call, you still have background noise coming from your end of the call, you will be banned from the rest of the Skype meeting.
How do I participate in the Skype meeting?
- Vote on the poll for one or more dates that you feel like you would be able to participate in the Skype meeting.
- Then, make a reply in this thread saying that you are interested in participating.
- You must PM me your Skype name if you wish to participate. I will add your Skype name to my list of contacts. Then, indicate that you're online on Skype, and I'll send you a message on Skype to confirm that you want to participate in the Skype meeting. You may also send me a message on Skype if you want to participate. Once you confirm, I'll call you to add you to the Skype call.
- DO NOT CALL ME ON SKYPE TO ENTER THE SKYPE MEETING. You will not be put into the same Skype call as everyone else. Just indicate that you are online and ready to participate on Skype, and I will give you a call on Skype to put you into the proper Skype call.
How many people usually participate in ABO Skype meetings?
- Usually 2 to 5 people. The most we've ever had was 12 people during the very first ABO Skype meeting. The call kept crashing, but the hosts for that meeting kept it going pretty well.
- Skype has a tendency to freak out if too many people are in one call. Keeping that in mind, I'll give voice chat three tries to work correctly and not crash if six or more people join the Skype call. If, after the third try, Skype crashes, then I'll change the Skype meeting to only instant messaging until there's a small amount of people left (probably four or five, since Skype does pretty good with that amount of people). At that point, I'll bring voice chat back.
Can I join the Skype meeting after the time it begins?
- Absolutely! If you can't join until an hour or two into the Skype meeting, I will still let you in. You may also leave the Skype meeting at any time if you have other obligations.
Any further questions about the Skype Meeting?
- Ask them in this thread! Otherwise, use this thread to discuss this Skype meeting!