Was ABO your first forum?

Off topic discussion.
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Was ABO your first forum?

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

Since I joined this forum 4 years ago, I've found it interesting how many members have said that this was the first forum they joined. Often, those members are pretty young and stay for about 1-3 years, then move on to another forum or another interests. Sometimes, they check back in here after a long period of absence, but most move on. It's understandable though considering how fickle children and teenagers can be in their interests. To be fair, some members do stay, even if they become lurkers or semi-active.

The crux of this thread though is this question: is AstroBoy Online Forums the first forum you joined? If not, what other forums did you join before this one? Did you join any forums after this one? Which ones?

For me, this is actually the most recent forum I've joined. I've only ever joined four forums.

The first forum I joined was Smash World Forums (now known as SmashBoards) in August 2005. I was semi-active on there for a year before leaving. I only made 32 posts on there (if memory serves correctly). The main reason I never returned was because there were too many members on there for my liking; I often felt ignored on there and that my voice was never heard amongst the thousands of other members that posted in there. It's a good forum, but not my "cup of tea" as they say. I still do love the Smash Bros franchise though. Still need to get a Wii U and Smash 4 one of these days.

The second forum I joined was Daizenshuu EX (now called Kanzenshuu), a fan site for the Dragon Ball franchise, in November 2008. I'm still semi-active there to this day due to my long-lasting fandom of the Dragon Ball series (I became a fan of the series in 1999). The amount of active members there is probably about three times the amount of this forum; it's kind of a big forum, but not nearly as big as SmashBoards. I've gotten to know a few people from that forum and people are generally pretty friendly over there.

The third forum I joined was the Anime News Network forum in August 2010. The only reason I joined was to comment on their limited-time streaming of the Nobody's Boy: Remi anime. Once in a blue moon, I'll log in to comment on one of their articles or threads about an anime I've been watching, but otherwise, I rarely visit that forum.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

Well ABOL was the first fan forum of any kind that I've ever joined. I've been a member of various technical forums for electronics and ham radio years before.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 8 years ago

I had joined some computer forums before but this is the first fan forum I joined and the one I visit the most.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 8 years ago

I'd occasionally joined in some discussions on the Gaiaonline forums a long time ago, but this one was the first one I was consistently on, and definitely the one I've had the most fun on, even though I spend most of my time lurking anymore.
It's a magical day!

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 8 years ago

Yeah, this is the first forum I joined. Otherwise it was finding out what something was, even though it was mostly pokemon. Even though, I never realized that those were places where people could just talk about what they liked, until I came here. :)
:hyo: whoops

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Uran-chama » 8 years ago

I had a Gaiaonline account a long time ago but I didn't join it for the forums and I never really used them either.

So this is my first and only forum. I might join other ones in the future though, cuz joining this forum helped keep my love of Astro Boy going. After I had finished rewatching all the series by myself, my interest in Astro Boy probably would have fizzled out months ago because I didn't have anyone to talk to about it.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

I honestly cannot remember rightly what my first forum was, it was either a Teen Titans forum or an old Chrono Trigger forum. This was back in the early 2000s, when I was finally allowed to be online for any length of time.

I then spent a long time on Mega Man forums, long enough that I was involved in three separate forums which all folded over during my stay. The final one I simply had to leave due to the atmosphere, it was really negative and members were very hostile to each other and generally intolerant of most everyone with differing personalities. The moderating team thought it was "funny" and encouraged hateful activity and posts. Apparently it's a common trend for video game forums (with some exceptions).

I was also involved in another forum for Saint Seiya that was unpleasant and completely under-moderated so I left that one, and the fandom in general.

This is the only forum that I am involved in currently and has been the most positive in experience. I like how it isn't too active that messages get lost and ignored, but it isn't so dead there isn't any conversation going on.

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 8 years ago

My first ever forum was Muppet Central for fans of Muppets' creator Jim Henson.

Since then I have joined several different others. Some I visited for a little while then fell away. Others I've been or am still active with. Even if an on again, off again basis.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 8 years ago

My first forums were sports forums. However, I discovered the ancestor of this site not long before I joined my first forum, IIRC, so this would probably have been my first forum if there had been one on the original site. :) It took me a few years to think of searching for Astro again and find the new site.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 8 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:My first forums were sports forums. However, I discovered the ancestor of this site not long before I joined my first forum, IIRC, so this would probably have been my first forum if there had been one on the original site. :) It took me a few years to think of searching for Astro again and find the new site.

Hello Astro Forever. It's great to be back here again. :D

Return to “General Discussion”