Should I Get Windows 10

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

Well, I upgraded today and so far I like it!

The changes from 8.1 to 10 was much easier than the changes from even 8 to 8.1 (when I did this ALL my settings reset and I had to manually change them back, this upgrade allowed me to keep my wacky settings so I did not have to spend hours "fixing" them).

The upgrade also got rid of the useless second screen for the apps which I don't use (I only use one app, for reading comics).

Cosmetically the upgrade also has more color options and theme options as well.

The only complaint I have had so far is that I HAD to turn off a lot of tracking settings, but the upgrade made it very clear in the process that you had a choice to turn them off right then instead of finding out about it later.

The setup is much more coherent, and it is easier to keep organized when you have multiple windows open (it has a button which lets you see every window open, and you can just click on the one you want, it makes working easier if you often have multiple tabs open).

So far, I'm liking it. But I have only been using it for less than a day.
Last edited by Earthshine on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 8 years ago

I'll wait this time. I had to reinstall. everything! Soundcards don't work GPU Sony vegas. :lol: i'll wait
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 8 years ago

Compared to Windows 8/8.1 , Windows 10 is clearly better because it "fixes" the separate screen for "modern" apps. Compared to Windows 7, I have some doubts because the main advantage is to introduce the "modern" apps. But when I upgraded my Windows 7 machine I found out that I couldn't install most of the apps of my library, they just... don't install after downloading :confused: I couldn't find anything about that on the Internet yet. Otherwise it seems to globally work the same way as Windows 7 (regardless of the different GUI of course).

For once, I'll give the thumbs up for Microsoft: after upgrading, I didn't have to "fix" my boot loader which usually loses the hability to boot GNU/Linux :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 7 years ago

Just curious, am I the only one whose computer really struggled with the update? I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 and thought I'd wait as long as I could to update (ie more or less a month before the July 29 date). Given that I kept being bombarded with that popup supplicating me to update, and considering there had been millions of updates for a year, I thought it would go really smoothly, especially by now. I even heard of people being taken by surprise sometimes.

Well, download would take forever, and then the computer would have to be prepared forever as well, only to display an error number at the end, not always the same one, none of which Microsoft would recognize. :shifty: I had been trying to update it since last Friday and then finally yesterday the process started again, by itself, and somehow it worked. :eek: Phew! No need to spend hours finding a way to troubleshoot it. :D

So far I'm happy as its layout is more similar to Windows 7 than I expected. I guess I could have updated it earlier, after all. :lol: I've played with Windows 8.1 at times and while I always find my way through it, I'm not really a fan.

Edit: oops, my printer vanished!
Last edited by Astro Forever on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

I've read that Windows 10 is "ligher weight" than 7 and 8, it will run well on less powerful hardware. Makes sense since it is also targeted at tablets and other mobile computers. If I needed to run windows apps more often I'd probably buy a copy of Windows 10 and leave it running in a VM on a separate workspace under Linux. I do have a copy of Windows 7 that I can run in a VM when needed.

BTW under Linux, it seems that Virtual Box does a better job at hosting other OS's than VMware, but if you're running Windows, VMware might be a better choice to host a Linux session. (Mac's use bootcamp).
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

I am finally thinking about upgrading, as I have found AutoCorrect2007.zip, which hopefully should export all my autocorrect definitions to the Office 365; moreover, Dell's page for my PC says it is tested and such with the upgrade.

Is the upgrade downloadable without automatically installing it?

Astro Forever
Administrator

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:I've read that Windows 10 is "ligher weight" than 7 and 8, it will run well on less powerful hardware.

I've heard the same. A relative has an old laptop that is now painfully slow. I thought it wasn't worth it (having tablet, it's not as useful as it used to be) but now I think I'll give it a try anyway.

"jeffbert" wrote:Is the upgrade downloadable without automatically installing it?

Yes. You can either let Windows download it through the OS and install it later, or just search for "Windows 10 download" and you can get it from Microsoft.

You only have 6 more days left to download it for free, however.

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 7 years ago

I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and it got 99% and wouldn't go any further.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

I'm running windows 7 in a VM under Linux. I noticed that it was showing the upgrade to windows 10 icon on the task bar. Hmmm, I could just make a copy of the VM image and call that copy "windows10_vm", boot the image and do the upgrade. Then I'd have BOTH windows 7 and 10 on the same machine.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Astro Forever
Administrator

:lol:

I've been trying to update an old computer, but without success so far. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work anyway.

Return to “General Discussion”