Astro Boy 2003 Fan-Sub

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Astro Boy 2003 Fan-Sub

Postby Little Brown Fox » 13 years ago

The other day, I was at the library with my mom. I had brought a new set of ear buds there for the first time, so I could go Youtube surfing. So I watched a couple of trailers for Skyward Sword, and then, it went to business: I watched a fan-sub of the original, Japanese version of the 2003 series of Astro Boy. (... the screen format looked wrong, though... or maybe it got squashed.) I watched the first episode in three parts, and then the first part of the second episode. However, that was all there was of that particular fan-sub (the poster didn't put anymore, for fear of "being chased by copyright holders" or something to that effect- pretty dumb, if you ask me). So, I pulled up another subbed version. (The screen format looked right on this one.) But, it didn't quite sync-up with the first one I watched. What's more, the poster said that the subtitles were kinda wonky; they made no sense. I didn't want to watch something like that, so I gave up and watched something else that they had apparently posted (the old '60s series episode, "Brother Jetto"- very cheesy and kiddy; his voice ranges from grating to comical, but mostly grating- Astro's voice is little better).

However, I would very much like to see the rest of this fan-sub. I don't like it cutting off mid-episode. I want to see more. Can anyone help me? (Btw, I'm not at the library right now, and video does not work on this computer...)
lolwut

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

I'm pretty sure talking about fan-subs, or at least providing them or asking where they are, aren't allowed in these forums. Well, at least they're certainly not allowed in Tezuka World, so I imagine it would be the same here.

However just so you know, I'm pretty sure there are two kinds of subtitles.

One set was provided in a Korean DVD of the 2003 series, and despite being a Korean release, had English subtitles. That would be considered to be the only 'official' one on the market. They however only subtitled up to 22 episodes before discontinuing.

The other is fan-subs, which I wouldn't know of.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

It was actually stated in the fan-sub that it was, in fact, a fan-sub. There were even credits to the people who worked on it, I think. Also, I'd never heard that talking about fan-subs on this site was illicit in any way. I mean, unless you're trying to sell bootleg materials, then I think it's fine... I do believe that some things need to be green-lighted by the higher-ups, however.
lolwut

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

It's just that most people would prefer that people try to support the actual companies by buying their goods instead of resorting to fan-subs and scanlations. There was once a bit of a conflict here in regards to sharing scans/scanlations of the 2004 Astro Boy manga. But that was resolved by the mods, so I'm not entirely sure what they would think about in regards to fan-subs.

Anyhow, I would have no idea where to find fan-subs. Although I guess I would have an average idea of where to find them... I'd suggest PMing me though.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Actually, I think the advertisement of downloadable scans of that manga was OK'd by a higher-up. I don't remember any conflict. I need to resort to fan-subs, though, because the official English dub of the series is inferior. You can watch those for free, anyway, provided you sit through a few commercials now and again.
lolwut

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

I already did say that the manga scans were A'OK'd by the higher ups. It's just I do not know if they would approve of fan-subs, which are completely different...

It's better that I just leave this at that, this is just causing conflict.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:It's just that most people would prefer that people try to support the actual companies by buying their goods instead of resorting to fan-subs and scanlations. There was once a bit of a conflict here in regards to sharing scans/scanlations of the 2004 Astro Boy manga. But that was resolved by the mods, so I'm not entirely sure what they would think about in regards to fan-subs.

I'd be more than happy to support the companies if they gave me what I wanted but not only do they not do that but when they act like the only people interested are children, why should we reward that?
I just don't see why I should drop my hard earned cash for something that doesn't have what I want
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Yes I know that,

But the point still stands. Most people, especially those at Tezuka in English, would prefer that we do things legally by supporting the companies.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

Hello, I'm a Tezuka in English guy. I have been a lurking on this forum every day for more than a year, didn't really want to ever register, but it seems like I often am the only one who can provide help. :)

Let's see... Fan subs. I've seen them provided on this forum really often. In fact, a lot of rare subbed Tezuka jewels I've been able to find only thanks to this site. Like episode 20 of Astro Boy (both "bootleg subs" (crappy) and a real professional fan sub). I'm pretty sure the mods don't mind. I don't understand why they didn't mind the Astro Boy 2003 scans either, because they're still available as an Australian import, and they're pretty cheap!

One thing that made me decide to register was the false belief that it was impossible to support the companies because of the crappy box set in the US that even I refuse to touch with a 10-foot pole. That's not true, here is what you need to watch Astro Boy 2003 in Japanese with English subtitles:

1. The Japanese DVDs (available on CDJapan, Yes-Asia or Amazon.co.jp)
  2. A DVD drive on your PC with region-free firmware
  3. Region-free software (if you have a DVD from another region, try it with AnyDVD software to see if your drive supports it)
  4. (optional) Cables to connect your PC to your TV or Home Theater System
  5. The subtitle files, which I have and can e-mail anyone who needs them.

Not only that, but you can also buy the Korean DVDs, which have subtitles already on them, but only have episodes 1 to 24, and 20 is missing. Those can be found on http://www.auction.co.kr/default.html (the Korean eBay), but you'll need the help of someone who lives there (I think there's someone I know on TinE) to send them to you.

As for the subtitle files I have, there are those from the Korean DVDs (thanks to someone posting them on this site), the fan sub of #20 (thanks to this site again), and the rest are ripped from the bootlegs. This means we can actually edit them in the long run and fix the crappy grammar of the bootleg ones.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Hm. Guess I was a bit wrong on that assumption then. Shame that my parents are against online shopping, so I cannot online shop let alone buy something foreign, but that's good to know anyhow.

By the way, you're a mod at Tezuka in English right? I have a bit of a question of its forums, do you mind me asking?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”