Astro Boy 2: The Sequel

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Likewise, I could ask for a source of the rumored 'new animated series' and 'new live-action' series that is also mentioned in Tezuka in English...

I did remove that info from the site when you mentioned it the other day. :p It is outdated. I replaced it with info about Pluto which was already known to be in Hollywood negotiations even before Illumination acquired it.

The outdated info was from a very early time when even the CG film was far off. The companies were excited about bringing Astro Boy back into the US public eye again, with the release of the manga in English and DVD box sets of all three anime series. They had high hopes for the upcoming movie, which crashed and burn... Makes you wonder what the present would be like if it had been a success.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Wow, that was fast.

And I'm really not surprised that the movie wasn't all that good. The changes didn't help it. But I think what really did it in was the fact that Astro Boy was never really a popular anime/manga and still isn't. It might have gotten more tickets sold if it was released closer to the 2003 days... but alas.

I think the only way we'll get another series is whenever we reach the next anniversary milestone. Because let's face it, the 80's and 2003 versions were practically only created to celebrate Atom's milestone anniversaries.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

And each series gets shorter...

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Wow, that was fast.

My reply or my edit on Tezuka in English? I did edit that very shortly after you posted your topic. But I was sad it went on unnoticed. X(

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:But I think what really did it in was the fact that Astro Boy was never really a popular anime/manga [in the US] and still isn't.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been thinking all along. The studios might have been praying a little too much on 50 year olds bringing their kid to see that awesome show from their childhood, but ultimately, it has just been too long since Astro Boy, he just isn't remembered here anymore.

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I think the only way we'll get another series is whenever we reach the next anniversary milestone. Because let's face it, the 80's and 2003 versions were practically only created to celebrate Atom's milestone anniversaries.

Well, 1980 was not an anniversary. Tezuka just had really wanted to do a colored version of Astro since the 70's, but the character was stuck in copyright problems. (Today I'm glad we've got Jetter Mars in the 70's thanks to this, I expected it to follow the Astro Boy stories perfectly, but it's actually a great show that stands on its own)

Ok, about this "projected date" of April 1st 2013... That's a Monday. Movies come out on Fridays. April Fooled?
I'm on Twitter.

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I'm really not surprised that the movie wasn't all that good. The changes didn't help it. But I think what really did it in was the fact that Astro Boy was never really a popular anime/manga and still isn't. It might have gotten more tickets sold if it was released closer to the 2003 days.

But that's just in the US, it was much more popular in Japan. If we had those fans here, it would have been a lot more popular and the movie would have done better in the box office.
Last edited by Astro Boy2866 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Or in Australia...

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Actually in any other country, besides where Astro was made.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:
My reply or my edit on Tezuka in English? I did edit that very shortly after you posted your topic. But I was sad it went on unnoticed. X

Your edit on the site. Except I noticed that all mention of the 2009 movie was removed.

Well, 1980 was not an anniversary. Tezuka just had really wanted to do a colored version of Astro since the 70's, but the character was stuck in copyright problems. (Today I'm glad we've got Jetter Mars in the 70's thanks to this, I expected it to follow the Astro Boy stories perfectly, but it's actually a great show that stands on its own)

Ok, about this "projected date" of April 1st 2013... That's a Monday. Movies come out on Fridays. April Fooled?

Well, I knew about the origin of Jetter Mars (which I'm also growing to be fond of, looks better than the 80's Atom in my opinion), it's just I figured that there were two reasons why the 80's Atom came to be.

Besides, wasn't the 80's Atom very close to the 20th anniversary anyway?

And lol, clever April Fools.

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Well that's a long time from now, so they're obviously not going to have its "projected date" on a Monday.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Im hoping for a continuation of the '03 series more.

Return to “Fan Creations”