Astro Boy (1980) and Black Jack now streaming on Viki (translations in progress)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Don Dracula's subs are about the same 'quality' as the bootleg subs we have seen in the 1980s & 2003 AB. :cry: :p
Yeha the first episode was fine but in the second i was like WTF do they just allow pepole to add these lazy ass subtitles i don't get it this website seems to be like wikepedia or something, this does kill be excitment for it a bit i cuess.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

Of all the new stuff, I wish Viki would have subbed any series OTHER than Don Dracula (except Jungle Emperor Leo). Don Dracula already has an English translation that I would have been happy to put on there, and they could have put that time and effort into something that actually needed it. ._. But the wikipedia aspect of the site means that we can actually improve the crappy job done by whoever they hired.
I'm on Twitter.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

I'm just really bored right now cause Viki is down and I can't work on the Black Jack subtitles, but here's a few news still in relation to the site:

• I found out the other day that Mermaid is also on there. That one should be very easy to sub.
  • Jungle Emperor Leo is now subbed, using what looks like the DVD subtitles (which only makes me wonder why they can't do the same for Astro Boy).
  • Marvelous Melmo episode 1 got subbed by the Viki admin and a Korean user (a friend of theirs perhaps?), and it actually seems to be a pretty good translation.
  • I got a reply about Astro Boy 1963.
Last edited by F-Man on Mon May 07, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm on Twitter.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

It appears that MELMO #2 has also been subbed; I will watch it later today.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Hey guys, feel free to show your appreciation and gratitude on their blog.

Here's something cool I found: The Tale of Osamu Tezuka
It's not uploaded yet, but could it be the Rintaro-directed animated TV special? Gosh I sure hope so. It says it's a "Fan channel" right now, but Muramasa did the same thing before it was made officially available.
I'm on Twitter.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 12 years ago

Looks like it's finished. I saw part of the 1980s series on YouTube TV (no they don't have a TV channel) before it got pulled and now it's nice to get the opportunity to watch it but uncut. I'll make sure to finally finish it, especially since I've went through Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball (and loved both).

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"astarisborn94" wrote:Looks like it's finished. I saw part of the 1980s series on YouTube TV (no they don't have a TV channel) before it got pulled and now it's nice to get the opportunity to watch it but uncut. I'll make sure to finally finish it, especially since I've went through Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball (and loved both).

I don't think it's finished. Unfortunately still seems to have only 10 episodes subbed.

I have info about all the upcoming stuff, so here are a few that'll be really interesting:

• Marine Express (I'll sub it)
  • Jungle Emperor 1989 (I'll sub the first 4 episodes)
  • Fumoon
  • One Million-year Trip : Bander Book
  • Bagi, the Monster of Mighty Nature (I'll sub it)

Unfortunately after all this I started to understand that they don't have anything from Mushi, so I guess Astro Boy 1963, Dororo or Princess Knight seem unlikely to show up.

They also made available the 90's Black Jack anime series recently, which is one of the best Tezuka anime of all time. No subs yet unfortunately.

And this is kinda old news, but the Jungle Emperor Leo movie is subbed now. You all owe it yourself to watch it if you're a Tezuka fan.
Last edited by F-Man on Mon May 21, 2012 3:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

That 's stupid if this where to be a fact Mushi doesn't have any rights for any of tezuka's series after the company went down they shoudn't have any reason not to take that kind of stuff the only clear reason i can think of would have to be that there much older BW first series in color etc.

But they do have some of his short experimental movies on it already which a good part of em is from mushi and if there gonna add kimba there shoudn't be any reason to hold back on anything.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Tue May 22, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

I think that these are all the works owned by what still exists of Mushi today, and none of them are on Viki.

The old fansubbing experiment on Crunchyroll was said to be clearly from Mushi Production, and they started with Wonderbeat Scramble, and said they would have shows like Princess Knight, Dororo and Ashita no Joe next, which are all listed on that page. I'm just surprised they haven't jumped on Viki as it obviously works better than Crunchyroll for fansubbing. Maybe it's just a matter of time.
Last edited by F-Man on Tue May 22, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm on Twitter.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 12 years ago

@F-Man: Dang it, I thought it was. Wish I knew how to help out with subbing because I guess I could do the intro and ending (not including Uran's theme) since they're basically the same so that a lot of the pressure of translating it can be put off (unfortunately, since I know no Japanese, that is all I can do other than search for help).

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”