Perseverance [Merged with The oldest kid]

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Toshio
Banned

Perseverance [Merged with The oldest kid]

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

So, I was reading the mangás of Mighty Atom and I had noticed how Tezuka wished to pass the message of perseverance in his stories.

The mangás had many tragic elements, but they showed that perseverance is what gives us strenght and hope.

No matter how Atom had to suffer, he keept being perseverant about his goals and helping others to regain their own hope.

That topic was pretty well explored in the 2003 series and specially during the Robotania saga which Atom was wondering which side he should be.

And even with the risk of his dear robot friends he keept strong with his desire of peace between humans and robots.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"Toshio" wrote:So, I was reading the mangás of Mighty Atom and I had noticed how Tezuka wished to pass the message of perseverance in his stories.

The mangás had many tragic elements, but they showed that perseverance is what gives us strenght and hope.

No matter how Atom had to suffer, he keept being perseverant about his goals and helping others to regain their own hope.

That topic was pretty well explored in the 2003 series and specially during the Robotania saga which Atom was wondering which side he should be.

And even with the risk of his dear robot friends he keept strong with his desire of peace between humans and robots.

I think you will find that sentiment through out all of the different Astro Boy series and I would also say in all of Tezuka's works!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Toshio
Banned

Haven't moved to all of them, but Black Jack have also that theme.

No wonder why he have a rival who thinks that some people should preffer death in harsh situations, huh?

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"Toshio" wrote:Haven't moved to all of them, but Black Jack have also that theme.

No wonder why he have a rival who thinks that some people should preffer death in harsh situations, huh?

Not sure what you mean, but your point does sound intriguing!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Toshio
Banned

Black Jack being a mercenary surgeon believe that people have the right of living even with harsh condictions.

In Pluto he was paid to save a patient, but the result of the surgery could make that boy blind.

But, it would better than just having the boy die and that boy had became a famous musician in the future.

While his rival thinks that in harsh situations, people should just die.

I'm not saying that to censure anyone, but I wish to point my view about "Atom Stolen":

Through reading that story I've noticed that Atom doesn't wish an adult body, because he does like the body which he had born even if he cannot grow up physically.

Well, considering his frustration of having that body being stolen, I came with the conclusion that he cannot just leave a part of himself behind.

For example, there are people who are born with deformations in their arms which are at times smaller and twisted, but even so they cannot just have these arms amputed and replaced by prosthetics.

So, Atom's child body may not age, but he cannot just change bodies and leave it behind in the same way which a man who have a deformed arm cannot just have it amputed and replaced by a prosthetic arm.

The fact that Atom got intense joy of having a identical copy of his original body after it was crashed made me conclude that despite the odds he does have perseverance at living that way.
He have born as a child type robot and he does wish to live like that.

That's quite a beautiful message in that story.

Perseverance is much more beautiful than estetic, after all those who live with physical limitations in their arms can still live happily without casting them away and replacing by prosthetics.

If you said they should have amputated their deformed arm and replaced it by prosthetic, then you would insult them deeply, so never say such a thing^^
If you see somebody like that, then do not talk about the type of treatment which could necessary for the deformation, it may get pretty bad.

So Atom is satisfied at living his child body appearance, because he feels happy being that way and can live with perseverance.

The episode "Eternal Boy" of the 2003 series also pointed that fact without him being fooled by some crazy scientist and having his body replaced, of course.

There is a story of the Hot Dog Corps in the Mighty Atom manga (I didin't watched the anime, since I only have interest in the japanese version) which one of the cyborgs did mention he rather preffer to live as a dog, than a humanoid cyborg assassin.
Something which his cruel creator was unable to understand.

Since it was what made him happy, he got a dog like body which was created by Dr. Ochanomizu at the story's conclusion.
Last edited by Toshio on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I'm not saying that to censure anyone, but I wish to point my view about "Atom Stolen":

Through reading that story I've noticed that Atom doesn't wish an adult body, because he does like the body which he had born even if he cannot grow up physically.

Well, considering his frustration of having that body being stolen, I came with the conclusion that he cannot just leave a part of himself behind.

I read this too, and feel it necessary to point out that although Atom was returned to his child-size body, his "reasons" for wanting to "remain a child" are comical and actually a bit selfish and irresponsible. What were his concerns? He "wouldn't be able to play anymore" or "get an allowance."

Now compare that to the end of "Eternal Boy" where the human children were all joyfully describing what they were looking forward to doing when they "grow up."

Tezuka was clearly using Atom's "reasons" as a comic foil. Obviously he wasn't going to change Atom so dramatically and without warning in a single story . . . so he provided "reasons" why Atom would want so desparately to not look his actual age.

Even in Eternal Boy - which I watched again last night (Japanese w/English subs) . . . Atom is advocating for the fact that growing up is "good" . . . and he is clearly a bit unresolved about his own situation.

The closest he came to addressing it was asking if his friends thought "Vendy" (Wendy) would forget Peter Pan when she grew up, and they all assured him that they didn't think she'd ever forget Peter.

But the important point is this: Atom doesn't make any kind of statement about how he wants to be a child forever. This story has made him aware of his permanent "ageless-ness" - and it's clear he is considering what that means for him (he's not lamenting it OR celebrating it . . . he's ACCEPTING it as where he is, right now).

Finally . . . remember his anguish in the various tellings of the "Pluto" story arch . . . he begs for more physical strength in order to more readily defeat Pluto.

So it's not as if Atom never desires to be other than what he is . . . that's part of what makes him so human. And sometimes it's his acceptance of who he is that is so inspiring -- other times . . . like when he got to experience "fear" -- it's finding out that who he is right now, is the best he can be.

These could be seen as contradictions, but I think they also make him a more interesting character. :astro: :wub:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

spartanx01
Rocket Ball Champion
Location: Sector 626, The Anime & Gaming District Of Metro City

The oldest kid

Postby spartanx01 » 11 years ago

You know I've just thought of something. If Astro was actually built. He'd be the oldest kid in the world.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 11 years ago

HI! THEN he would sorta be like the eternal child like PETER PAN! PRAY YOU SPARTANX01 AND EVERYONE always the very best always

Xandreita93X
Kokoro Robot

Postby Xandreita93X » 11 years ago

I like how Atom looks like a child and he likes the idea too.
But i think it could be a problem, be a child for ever, it's sad because all friends of Atom in the school are going to grow (also in mind)
But if you think: does anyone had treated Atom like a child? i didn't see it yet (only few parts of 2003, where Atom is playing with toys and that stuff).
Indeed he have parents and little sister and brother,but he have had pass for a lot of things (things that a "child" could not support without the help of his parents).
Atom could look like child but he is more mature than a child, and some adults...

Why i don't like the idea of Atom being adult?
Because he lost all the charm he has, be so tiny robot with such quantity of power
Because HE doesn't like to change of body
I don't like he's adult body
Last edited by Xandreita93X on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My DA ->http://xandreita93x.deviantart.com/
I <3 Atom, Tenma , Tobio *o* and Ratom xDDD
I'M NOT SO GOOD AT ENGLISH, SORRY IF I MESSED UP XD
Si alguien aquí habla español, bienvenido sea :D DDD

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 11 years ago

THANKS XANDREITA93X YOUR ANIMATION OF ASTROBOY AS A DOG IS SO KAWAII- HOPE KAWAII MEANS CUTE- PRAY YOU AND EVERYONE ETERNAL LIFE AND SAFETY AND HOPE WE WILL BE FRIENDS XANDREITA93X-your friend always

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”