When / How did you become an Astro fan?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"SOPikaMeowMeow" wrote:I remembered seeing the 2003 anime on tv when I was younger, so I decided to watch the different animes again.
It's pretty lame. I know.

No it isn't, silly.

Some people have more insightful stories to tell of how they got into something, and some don't. Heck, I wouldn't exactly call how I got into Astro Boy insightful in any way. It was just the right show at the right time for me. And I would say that the same goes for you.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

Yeah I guess you're right :)

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

The movie (2009) was the first of Astro Boy I ever saw. I saw the 2003 version online one day and started to watch it at first it was just really cool. Then I was watching not stop, and became obsessive. :) Then after I saw the 2003 version I watched the 80's, then a bit of the 60's. Plus the manga by Akira Himekawa.
After I realized that the movie was terrible. I liked it and all, and still watch it, but it is just not the same.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Astrogirl500
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astrogirl500 » 10 years ago

It's recent and i've begin to read "Story of 3 Adolf", at 2012

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 10 years ago

This question again? OK, I love to tell tall tales.

This years marks my first decade as a Tezuka fan. I doscovered him when I was very young. My actual first contact was when I saw a Kimba beta tape at a froend of my mother's place. That was around 1987-1989.

At the same time, Princess Knight aired on TV. The eighties were at its peak, and this was the awesome ED of the Spanish TV version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isiDha8zPXU

Dead catchy, but the singer looks like he's trying to clear the smoke from him at the beginning instead of justa waving (I happen to be that "bigladiesman" who has the second most popular comment, BTW).

Then I didn't know who Osamu Tezuka was, but in 1990 Dragon Ball came along, and with that the otaku phenomenon started in Spain after some moderate sucesses (Mazinger Z, Miyazaki's Heidi and 3000 Leagues in the Search of Mother, Harlock, Dr. Slump or Captain Tsubasa). In 1993 the manga started being publiushed in Spain, and in 1992, the Olympic year in my hometown, an article about Astro appeared. I was 9 years old and laugh at that "old drawings". The first manga buffs in my country already were hailing anf lauding Tezuja as a genius... I didn't care, and, of course, I completely ignored the fact that Princess Knight (which I really loved) and Astroboy were from the same author, and as a child I found series like "Kimba" and "Triton of the Sea" too serious and competely awful (in fact, I still think that "Jungle Taitei" is terrible; the lowest point on Manga No Kami-Sama's career).

But years passed by and while a teenager I found an old fanzine in one of my local libraries. It was the same fanzine used as a basis for that old article about Astroboy, and at last I had the chance to read some Astroboy. I went nuts: Man, it was funny, with all that 4th wall breaking. Years later I found out that actually taht traslation was made up, but my opinion about Tezuka changed.

When I was 19, i started reading Buddha; got hooked and started with Astro. When I got my first job, I started my collection. Now I'm 29, turning 30 in December. And from then on and the rest of my life I'll be a Tezuka and Astroboy buff. Jusst spare me Jungle Taitei.

dparrott
Kokoro Robot

Postby dparrott » 10 years ago

I'm probably one of the newest fans. I saw a 60's ep on Adult Swim a few years ago and liked it. Started getting the 60's DVDs from Netflix.
"He's walking around without a shirt on. Must be some new kind of nut!"
- Episode 35 "Planet X"

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

My mom had been a Osamu Tezuka fan since she was my age :)
So she introduced the Astro Boy series to me three years ago and I totally went CRAZY for Atomu-chan XD
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"Yuuki X Atomu" wrote:My mom had been a Osamu Tezuka fan since she was my age :)
So she introduced the Astro Boy series to me three years ago and I totally went CRAZY for Atomu-chan XD

Wow, that's so cool! I sure hope I can do that with my cousin's kid someday.

toxicXheart
Metro City Citizen

Postby toxicXheart » 10 years ago

First saw Astro when I was 3. It was the 80's series and at the time I loved cats and when astro came on I was like "It's a cat super hero girl with no shirt!<3"soon I found out what the show really was and i've been a fan ever since
[sigpic][/sigpic] :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart:

toxicXheart
Metro City Citizen

Postby toxicXheart » 10 years ago

Astro is pretty addictive<3
[sigpic][/sigpic] :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”