Astro Boy 1980 Blu-Ray

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 10 years ago

"astarisborn94" wrote:[QUOTE=F-Man;223538][QUOTE=astarisborn94;223529]
There's 2 audio streams for every episode, but episodes 1 and 2 have the same Japanese track for both streams. The rest of the episodes have dual Japanese and English audio. No subtitles. The English audio appears to have been taken from the USA DVD release which re-inserted deleted scenes that had no dialogue. The remaining deleted scenes are there with background music and sound effects, but no talking. So you get people's mouths moving and no voice coming out. Not a bad compromise I suppose.
Weird, I've been hearing that it only had the English dub. If all fifty-two episodes have the Japanese dub, then I'll definitely have to get this eventually.

You might have heard that it has only the English dub as opposed to English SUB, which would have been the ideal option.[/QUOTE]The lack of English subs is unfortunate, but that was not what I was asking about. DrFrag did say that the Japanese audio was present for all episodes. I was asking if it meant the Japanese dub was also present, English subtitles nonwithstanding.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the entire sets have both Japanese and English audio. I was merely stating how you might have ended up confused about it is all.
I'm on Twitter.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Yeah, the entire sets have both Japanese and English audio. I was merely stating how you might have ended up confused about it is all.
Fair enough. As I'm currently learning Japanese, I still intend on buying the boxset to finally be able to own the series on Blu-Ray.

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kirben » 10 years ago

Would it be possible to create and use English subtitles scripts? for use when playing the video files directly from the Blu-Ray discs?

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

"Kirben" wrote:Would it be possible to create and use English subtitles scripts? for use when playing the video files directly from the Blu-Ray discs?
I'm sure it would be and I would do it myself if I was fluent, except that it's illegal to do so even if you did it for free.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 10 years ago

Definitely Japanese language on the whole thing. I actually thought that's all it had until I read Nick's post, since the Amazon page doesn't say anything about English audio. So I got a nice surprise when I switched audio streams. I don't know why they didn't add subtitles though. Seems like a trivial thing compared to fixing the audio around undeleted scenes.

If you own the NTSC DVDs you can export the subtitles yourself. Rip with MakeMKV, extract subtitles with SubRip, adjust timing with Subtitle Workshop.
Result.

As for whether or not you would need to rip the Blu-rays too, it depends on the player. VLC and MPC can load external subtitle files, but I don't know if they can play straight from Blu-ray discs. Probably not with all the ridiculous DRM these days.

I believe copy protection circumvention is legal in the USA under the Fair Use doctine as long as you don't distribute it. It's illegal in Australia, but so is taping the football, so I'm not particularly worried about the police breaking down my door for format shifting subtitles on some cartoons that I've paid for.

Anyway, here's an interesting screenshot from The Robot Vikings.
http://i.imgur.com/lQeS9SN.jpg
The newspaper text is now clear enough to read. Looks like some US newspaper columns from 1981 cut out and pasted in.

Kirben
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kirben » 10 years ago

The image quality is really amazing in those screenshots, I just can't resist getting these Blu-Ray sets after seeing them.

AnyDVD HD (or similar) can be used to remove DRM on Blu-Ray, so files can be played directly via MPC or VLC.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Yeah, I've done all this subtitle business with my Blu-ray Discs for Metropolis and Buddha, and then usually play them in SMPlayer since it's the best player to play Blu-ray video files lag-free. I still get a bit of occasional lag though, so I burn the files and subtitles on a BD-R eventually to play on a Blu-ray player. Only did it for Metropolis so far.

Still, in the case of Astro Boy and the new release of the Black Jack OVAs, I find it safer to wait for Anime Sols. Especially since they're supposed to do the Black Jack OVAs very soon, if they end up being Blu-ray, that will be extremely telling about their future intentions for Astro Boy. Anime Sols's sets would not only be about 3 times cheaper and have English packaging, but they would also have English subs on the discs from the get-go.
I'm on Twitter.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 10 years ago

That sounds promising. With the Japanese Blu-rays being limited edition, I didn't hold out much hope for an English release. But I hadn't heard of Anime Sols. Fingers crossed!

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 10 years ago

Wow that looks good i might even consider getting it now,
still weird that the Japanese went out of there way to include english and even had to do some work on the messed up english version as you mentioned here that usally doesn't happen.

If it weren't for the fact that i already own the American and Australian set's i would have gone for this one, then again it must be like god hell expensive i assume.

O and there's the thing that im still can't play off Blu-rays that aren't Region B or region free .... really have to get something that can bypass that.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:Wow that looks good i might even consider getting it now,
still weird that the Japanese went out of there way to include english and even had to do some work on the messed up english version as you mentioned here that usally doesn't happen.

If it weren't for the fact that i already own the American and Australian set's i would have gone for this one, then again it must be like god hell expensive i assume.

O and there's the thing that im still can't play off Blu-rays that aren't Region B or region free .... really have to get something that can bypass that.

It is region free. As I said, anime on Blu-ray in Japan tends to be region free. And it makes sense, since buying Japanese releases is the most direct way to put money straight into the creators' hands. There are less middle men to go through each taking their cut, AND they're more expensive than anywhere else.
I'm on Twitter.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”