What's the best cartoon you've ever seen?

Off topic discussion.
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

I saw "Peabody and Sherman " over the weekend. I loved all the bad puns. Didn't see it in 3d, the WABAC scenes would have been awesome in 3d.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

All CGI films do count as animation (regardless of my feelings) :)

We're Back is about a scientist from the future that has a machine that records wishes and in the 1990s the loudest wish he has ever heard is from children who want to see dinosaurs. So he goes back in time and feeds dinosaurs a cereal called Brain Gain that turns them sentient and docile. He then drops them off in 1993 Manhattan to be displayed at The Museum of Natural History. However along the way the dinosaurs befriend a runaway boy and a lonely little girl who are wayward and in danger of falling prey to the future scientists crazy brother.

It's fun and stars John Goodman as one of the voice actors.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

I still haven't seen Frozen, but I want to. I also want to see the Peabody and Sherman movie. I love bad puns :p

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

That one looks interesting too. :)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Robin » 10 years ago

Heres mine

1: Need you even ask?
2: Batman the animated series
3: Teen Titians
4: (Working on this one still haha)

Who said ed edd and eddie I am sorry that show is pathetic honestly. WAY to much stupid in that show for my tastes.

Earthshine

I'll agree with you on Batman the Animated Series and Teen Titans, both were substantial to my childhood.

So was Ed, Edd n Eddy and while I can understand that some people can be put off by its high energy and random (sometimes crude and just nonsensical) humor that doesn't necessarily make it 'pathetic'. People just have different tastes and it's just for the best to respect that.

Did you enjoy Young Justice by the way?

Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Robin » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Did you enjoy Young Justice by the way?

Obviously.

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 10 years ago

I'm currently enjoying a lot of Nelvana cartoons, they're my second-favorite Western animation studio ever.

I just saw Rock & Rule for the first time, the first full-length Canadian animated feature ever. It was weird and different, and very interesting. Especially if you're into Lou Reeds, Debbie Harry, Cheap Trick, or the other big-name bands they got to do the music. On the same DVD was the short "The Devil and Daniel Mouse" from the 70s, which is really cute. It's based on The Devil and Daniel Webster, it's a half-hour Halloween special, and it's really well done. It's fantastically well-done if you remember just how much of a ghetto '70s American animation was. I would definitely recommend Daniel Mouse, though I think Rock & Rule is very hit-or-miss.

I also think Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation is a fun movie, and a really great lighter-and-softer Dante retelling, surprising for a kid's movie. I think there's a lot there that a lot of people just don't see because they go "ugh, Care Bears, whatever." It's not hugely deep, but it is a little more than people give it credit for.

I also like Babar, the series and the '89 movie. It was on Netflix for a while, then it wasn't, then it was, and now it isn't. I'm also a huge fan of the Sam & Max: Freelance Police franchise (comics, cartoon, games) which they handled marvelously. Like Rock & Rule, it's high-quality but a very specific taste that not everybody can get into.

Anyway, they've got a lot of great shows, and the animation is always above average. Check out their website where they have a list of all the cartoons they've done (except Care Bears) http://nelvana.com/Show.

Speaking of Care Bears, there are a lot of movies I wouldn't consider good or quality, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're fantastic in their own way. I have a video discussing both Care Bears Movie II and another favorite of mine, Felix the Cat: The Movie (it's sort of a long one.) I wouldn't put either of them up on a pedestal as the best, which may be missing the point of this thread, but it's definitely one of my favorites. Especially all of the political subtext they didn't mean to put in it, but which totally works.

Has anybody ever seen the Danish animated film Samson & Sally, about a pod of whales in the Arctic? That one was really good. It's kind of exceedingly dark, with a number of on-screen and implied deaths, but it's got a good moral even beyond the obvious "save the whales" agenda. Something about not depending on your heroes to come and save you, you've got to be your own hero and save yourself. It was my childhood favorite, and I think it holds up very well.

And as long as I've gone listing my favorite cartoons, the post would be exponentially longer if I talked about how much I loved Disney cartoons and movies. I'm a Disney nut and have been for twelve years. I'm moving to Florida in a few years to have a career in the theme park offices.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 10 years ago

Oh, and @SOPikaMeowMeow- My brother reminded me, but there actually is a flipping-the-bird joke in Adventure Time. S5E3 "Five More Short Graybles." It's the joke when Shelby the worm who lives in Jake's viola is up on a statue's raised fist and Tree Trunks sees it and gets offended. The way they danced around the issue was, IMHO, hilarious, especially how they went out of the way to say that the theme of the graybles wasn't the five fingers, so they didn't have to admit that they made a middle finger joke.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Earthshine

I remember that episode. The writers are very clever! Then again cartoon writers have had to be. :)

Return to “General Discussion”