What really bugs you in a fandom?

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

:rolleyes: I know what you mean in that. I'm not very fond of the STH franchise but I know exactly what you mean as shipping wars like to bleed into pretty much everything.

It's also a bit like head-canon wars, people complaining and harassing people and generally getting offended because they simply didn't like someone's head-canon or interpretation of a series.

Some fans really need to grow up. There are some interpretations of my favorite series and characters that I really really dislike but I don't attack the people that have that viewpoint, even if that viewpoint is kinda icky (I'm talking about incest in particular here).

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

I hate when people lie about family members or whatnot who apparently worked on something. It seems like people wouldn't do that, but I've met some people. They claim they know someone who has worked on something, but when I ask them for proof they either happen to not have any or just don't want to provide it.
I'm like Image
Liar.

Earthshine

:d oh: That is really annoying as well. Why do people need to lie about that? Does it make them feel like they are 'closer' to the series than other fans if they say that? Does it make them feel like their opinions and voice will be more important and valid than others?

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

Exactly, I quite agree. :)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 10 years ago

I think nowadays my least favorite thing about fandoms is when you get into a thing but the fandom is dead and has been for years. I seem to do this to myself all the time and I'm not sure why. :T

Worse yet is when you find a fandom that you thought was dead, but they're all on a website from another country and you can't talk to them because you need a phone number from that country to register. ;^; (Okay, this one is a really specific case that happened to me recently, but I'm still not over it.)
It's a magical day!

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 10 years ago

What gets to me the most is when you join a fandom for something, only to find out that pretty much everyone else there has decided to hate something you like. Like joining a Care Bare message board only to find that everyone there bashes Sonic the Hedgehog for a laugh. Or joining pretty much any other fandom and having to overlook all the My Little Pony hate. I'm like, oh, I'm sorry, I thought were were here for our mutual love of Zelda games, not our hatred of Naruto!
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

I hate when I get into a fandom that wasn't ever really "alive" in the first place.

Earthshine

Here's another one that's been bugging me as of late quite a bit :d oh:

It's really annoying when the fandom of a series somehow generally confuses fanon and what is canon. It's like upwards of 75% of the fandom reads the same fanfiction that's popular and gets it in their heads that what they just read is canon...

For example... there is this one character from a series that I like and while he IS cute and does really cute things he's not this 'moe' character that much of the fandom makes him out to be. This character is actually quite violent, practical and unflinching but the fandom due to seeing just a couple moments when he acts cute and sweet blow that into complete overdrive and pretty much make him act like a five year old girl.

It's so annoying because his personality is so much MORE than that.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

"SOPikaMeowMeow" wrote:I hate when I get into a fandom that wasn't ever really "alive" in the first place.
To be fair, it's not that bad from what I've experienced. I'm part of one of the few remaining An American Tail fans and I like it a lot primarily because of no drama.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

That's true. You could add fandom drama to the list of things I hate in a fandom. It's really just not having many people to talk to or hang out with because there's virtually no fandom that bugs me.

Return to “General Discussion”