Black Jack

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I tell you what, I'll review your story if you review mine to give me an example of what kind of review and feedback you are looking for. Sound fair?

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

Great! Is there a link to your story? :)

If you review all my chapters, I'll make really good reviews for all yours! That's great. :D

(Yipee!!) <---- Something totally out-of-character for me to say. lol
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Earthshine

My fic is in my thread Earthshine's Fanfiction in the the Fan Creation's subforum.

To clarify, I am only going to review your fic once you review mine. More than once in the past I have been given the short-end of the stick when it came to reviews.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Sure! Should I post the review in the thread or is it a FanFiction story?
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Earthshine

In the thread, on the site, whatever.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Thanks. I'll check it out right now. :)

Windswept Cloak
Banned

That expression on his face when Takashi showed him the butterfly.

Priceless.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Megumi Kisaragi!!

"Earthshine" wrote:It was the ONLY Kei pic I could find within 45 minutes of scrolling through art.

It's funny, but there aren't many Kei / Megumi fans out there in the BJ fandom. I'm personally very fond of her myself and I don't get why so many fans forget about her. What really annoys me is when in fanfics people ship BJ with an OC (In a fanfic I've read before BJ even marries this writer's poorly-written OC, who is supposed to be a "tomboy" but in my opinion, is more of a snob who punches anyone who gets in her way) as if Megumi's never existed before. :cry: Yeah, I'm a Megumi fan. :)

Right after Uran, she's my favorite Tezuka female character at the moment. (I like her personality. And I honestly don't mind that she changed her gender at the end; I think that choice was correct because after "becoming a male" she could have much more of a chance to be her true self.) Which is why I generally can't stand BJ / OC pairings unless they are very well-written (never seen such pairings before) and don't pretend that Megumi never existed. I mean, let's say I stuffed Megumi into every one of those crummy BJ / OC fics I've read. She would have been broken-hearted. :cry:

Earthshine

I really enjoy the Black Jack/Kei pairing as well, though in my mind taken from what was written, Kei is a man. I pretty much interpreted the story as Megumi being transgender though not all people would agree.

I think that the reason why the Black Jack/Kei pairing isn't so popular is because the issue of Kei's gender is ambiguous. Are they a woman living as a man because it's easier than explaining the issues of not having the proper hormones? Are they a man with a female body? Are they happy being a man? Are they just a masculine woman? What about their sexuality? All of these questions are valid for the Megumi/Kei story and Tezuka was (I believe) deliberately vague so we can't come up with who Megumi/Kei really is and what they are doing.

These sorts of questions however get people uncomfortable and they don't know what to do with them, these sorts of non-conforming gender stories twist what people know as it's not so easy to grasp. Thus people distance themselves from the issue altogether, it's just too weird for most people to accept.

As for me I love these types of stories. Tezuka was a bit off with how drastic a hysterectomy really is as even back then artificial hormones were in use so who really knows where he came up with the idea that no uterus = becoming a man, unless he was taking it literally(????) However even with that flaw (and a couple others) the story structurally was great and it came down to one point in the end.

Megumi/Kei was going to be a man, and for that time a relationship between Black Jack and Kei would be impossible socially. This is why I interpreted Kei as being a transman, because if they were just going to be a tom-boyish girl there wouldn't be this finality in the kiss that they shared together. I don't think that Tezuka would have Black Jack dump Megumi because they would turn unattractive, that's pretty shallow, only one option really remains open.

But not everyone has to agree with me! All opinions and interpretations are great as they make this fandom more rich and vibrant, this is just my own thoughts.

(and before someone starts, this is NOT intended to be a discussion on the hardships that trans people face day-to-day, so no sociopolitical discussions please)
Last edited by Earthshine on Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"Earthshine" wrote: I don't think that Tezuka would have Black Jack dump Megumi because they would turn unattractive, that's pretty shallow, only one option really remains open.

But not everyone has to agree with me! All opinions and interpretations are great as they make this fandom more rich and vibrant, this is just my own thoughts.

You know what? I don't mind your version of her. I think it's pretty creative. :) I think I recall in one episode Megumi / Kei and Black Jack meet again, they have a nice long chat, and Kei says something like "I'm happy with what I've chosen, but one thing never changed: I have never stopped loving you". I'm pretty sure these two are not attracted to each other's looks. I'm pretty sure their relationship is mostly platonic, which is why I find it good. (I'm not a fan of those typical "romance" pairings in stories. Not sure how to explain this in English.)

Another thing I like about Kei is the fact that she is courageous enough to go for that choice, and is happy with it - she chooses to be herself. Most anime girls will rather give up their true selves or even change themselves to be with the guy they like. But Kei is not like that.

I like her because she's one of those few anime women who choose to be themselves over ''falling in love, getting married" etc. But even after the gender change she and Black Jack still remain best friends, in a good way. As a result, I think she is a character with great personality and great depth.

Did I mention I'm writing her into my novel as a major character?

I've looked on FanFiction and it pissed me off to see that there were MUCH more BJ / OC pairings :shifty: than stories involving Kei. (Why??) :confused:

Oh well, as you said, some fans might find her weird. But honestly I don't care what they think about her. :)
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Fri May 09, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”