Astro Boy #3: The Secret of Astro

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Astro Boy #3: The Secret of Astro

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

Last night, on an impulse, I decided to order an official paperback book off eBay France. I did some research, and it seems to be from a French line of book-exclusive stories! I'm planning to type up and translate each chapter, and I may put them each in this thread, copyrights allowing. I ordered my copy for about $6 after shipping.

The book looks like this, featuring Astro presumably spotting a weird bird in the sky while Tenma exits a catwalk:

This particular book's plot is something about Dr. Tenma kidnapping Dr. Ochanomizu and Uran (referred to as O'Shay and Zoran respectively), and Astro learns about his origin on the way to go rescue them. It's a kid's pocket novella, so I'm really wondering how Gilles Legardinier's gonna get Astro in and out of this one in 96 pages.

There's six books in the whole series, so depending on the prices, I might be able to get them all and translate them for the forum!

ADD-ON: I found the titles of some other books in the series...
#1: First Mission/ Première Mission
#2: The Diabolical Trap / Le Piege Diabolique
#4: Astro Boy vs. Astro Boy / Astro Boy Contre Astro Boy
#5: The Train of Terror / Le Train De La Peur
#6: The Strange Spy / Un Drole D'Espion
Last edited by Fauna on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Reid958
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Reid958 » 9 years ago

Wow that's interesting, why didn't I hear those series. It is somthing new new learnt that today :-)
thanks for showing that, But funny to me it's seem Astro boy news seems go on and on, which never stops. O.o

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

The thing is, the ones I've found on Amazon.com/.ca are way more expensive than what I'd pay for a kid's novella. I may have to really trawl around on Francophone-Canadian websites for some listings.
ImageImageImageImage

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Novella Story Descriptions

I've translated these all straight from the Amazon.ca descriptions, which come from the backs of the books:

#1: First Mission - Dr. O'Shay has created the most surprising of robots that ever existed: Astro Boy! But while he dreams of discovering the world and make friends, the robot child must prove that he knows how to protect humans. His first mission: to stop an overpowered monster destroying the city of Metro City ...

#2: The Diabolical Trap - Dr. O'Shay has offered Astro Boy a wonderful gift: he has created a little sister, Zoran! Both children make ​​a trip through Metro City, and attend the opening of the largest toy store in the world! They do not yet know that this fabulous event hides a diabolical trap designed by the Lord of Darkness... (My note: it literally calls the villain Seigneur de l'Ombre, lord of darkness/shadows. This HAS to be Tenma. He probably has "Lord of Shadows" on a bumper sticker.)

#3: The Secret of Astro Boy - Dr. O'Shay and Zoran were kidnapped! Astro Boy is conducting the investigation and soon discovers that they are prisoners of the dreaded Dr. Tenma. Astro is desperate to get them back, even if he has to face Tenma at the heart of his secret base. But when he learns the incredible secret of his birth, the child robot does not know who to trust...

#4: Astro Boy vs. Astro Boy - Astro Boy has gone crazy! He's robbing all the banks of Metro City! He who was celebrated as the hero of the city is now wanted by the police...the robot child has no choice: he must prove that, despite appearances, he is not guilty. To do this, he must face his twin and discover the secret of an incredible plot...

#5: The Train of Terror - Astro will be crowned hero of the year! But his nemesis, Dr. Tenma, decided to spoil the party: he sabotaged the Lightning Express, the fastest train and the most modern in the world! In a few hours, the train will devastate the center of Metro City if nobody stops it! Astro Boy will have to overcome it! (My note: What, they couldn't introduce Kato/Rainbow Parakeet for one book? He's the train hijacker, not Tenma.)

#6: The Strange Spy - Astro Boy and Zoran have discovered an abandoned puppy! They decide to adopt the animal, which quickly becomes the mascot of the Ministry of Science. But the new friend of Astro Boy has a dreadful secret: this adorable little dog is actually a robot spy, designed to steal the secrets of Professor O'Shay...and destroy the Ministry!
ImageImageImageImage

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 9 years ago

Thanks, Fauna! These look like interesting books. It's so unfortunate that the English language versions, as far as I could tell, never made it into the US. (and I'm guessing into Canada.) Yet another chapter in the international history of Dr. Tezuka's robot boy!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

Well at least it's easier to translate French than Japanese for most people. Quite a few of us had to take French or Spanish language classes in Jr and Sr high school. I don't recall classes in Japanese even being offered when I was in school.

If I'd known of Astro's origin in Japan when I was in Jr. High I'd have jumped at the chance to learn the language.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 9 years ago

WOW - thanks Fauna - I'm looking forward to your translations/insights. These appear to be "original" stories . . . not retelling of 2003 anime episodes.

I doubt my 1 1/2 years of French from high school will enable me to read them, but - as Penguin points out - a lot of us have SOME French experience, which will help more than zero knowledge of Japanese (especially WRITTEN Japanese!)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

This is neat! I'm looking forward to seeing whatever you are willing to share that's within the copyright law. Maybe some good summaries would be lovely.

I know absolutely no French what-so-ever.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

For the matter of it being in French - it should be really easy for me to translate. French is taught in elementary schools in my country, so it's not that hard for me to grasp.

I'm really excited to see this book, actually! I'm quite glad that Pocket Jeunesse and Gilles Legardinier decided to make a bunch of exclusive stories. To the mods/experts...is it acceptable for me to post each chapter in English in this thread? The books are from 2005 and out of print since 2006, but I'm not sure if that's a long enough period for the book material to be free to post.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”