Why you hated the Astro Boy Movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

It made me fall asleep, the movie.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Yushee
Kokoro Robot
Location: USA. I'd much rather be in Metro City though, if it existed ;7;

Postby Yushee » 9 years ago

Even though I loved the movie, I gotta say, the ending was terrible.
It felt so rushed! And not only that, the freaking orange alien thing, which I think was the 'artificial sun' from the anime wasn't even neccesary. They could'a ended it with a happy-faced Astro, or him flying into the sky, or.. somethin' like that. XD
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Resisting the adorableness is not an option. :astro: :astro: :astro:

FunsizedCake
Kokoro Robot

Postby FunsizedCake » 9 years ago

"Yushee" wrote:Even though I loved the movie, I gotta say, the ending was terrible.
It felt so rushed! And not only that, the freaking orange alien thing, which I think was the 'artificial sun' from the anime wasn't even neccesary. They could'a ended it with a happy-faced Astro, or him flying into the sky, or.. somethin' like that. XD

Though I could go on for hours in every way why i hated the movie in comparison to the previous astro boy anime/manga, I definitely have to say the ending was really ruined by the stupid alien thing.

like really?

they just had a huge epic battle with a giant mutated robot thing that completely decimated the city and nearly killed astro and we were supposed to be left with a nice, calm cheerful ending

but 2 seconds later you just throw some cheesy alien eye laser thing ? ?? ??

Astro boy wasn't ever quite that cheesy (though there have been moments) and it really threw me off and in my opinion ended up degrading the entire movie itself just because of that

¯\_(ツ ;) _/¯

Reid958
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Reid958 » 9 years ago

"FunsizedCake" wrote:[QUOTE=Yushee;230386]Even though I loved the movie, I gotta say, the ending was terrible.

Though I could go on for hours in every way why i hated the movie in comparison to the previous astro boy anime/manga, I definitely have to say the ending was really ruined by the stupid alien thing.

like really?

they just had a huge epic battle with a giant mutated robot thing that completely decimated the city and nearly killed astro and we were supposed to be left with a nice, calm cheerful ending

but 2 seconds later you just throw some cheesy alien eye laser thing ? ?? ??

Astro boy wasn't ever quite that cheesy (though there have been moments) and it really threw me off and in my opinion ended up degrading the entire movie itself just because of that

¯\_(ツ ;) _/¯[/QUOTE]

I so totally agree with you Funsizedcake, you right Astro was never that cheesy, he was suppose to be gentle and wise, well I geuss in the movie he was, just didn't know explain by that. Anyway through the ending he was like in rush. It should be a nice happy ending, not another crazy battle just right after Astro had being brought to life, which he almost died. I mean... maybe they just did the ending like that to make you think....like "what will happen next"
But I mostly like the parts of film seeing Astro laughing and hanging with his new friends, I guess they did the Asto's personality was is it to badly, just bit cheesy sometimes. It makes feel abit you know just turning away feeling this tickle every time you see it.
I liked the movie, but not so much on the ending, through they did well on the ideas on that. I still much much prefer the all the Astro boy TV shows and manga.

BigFox8
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby BigFox8 » 9 years ago

I love the film. I got it on Blue ray and DVD. It was released in cinemas (we call movie theatres cinemas here in the UK) on Friday the 5th of February 20. :astro:

Yushee
Kokoro Robot
Location: USA. I'd much rather be in Metro City though, if it existed ;7;

Postby Yushee » 9 years ago

If you've seen the adaptation comic of the movie, I think there was a sequel (to the comic ver.), and well.. by the looks of it, it looked as cheesy as the ending of the movie. Like.. it had some little blue alien guy with a crown, and some other stuff.

I mean, yeesh, they put a lot into it and then threw in some huge alien at the end that had no point in being there. XD
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Resisting the adorableness is not an option. :astro: :astro: :astro:

FunsizedCake
Kokoro Robot

The 2009 movie was in fact the thing that introduced me to Astro Boy.

I remember when the trailers came out and my mom was so excited about it because she grew up watching the 80's show, so years later I watched the movie when I was on a random movie marathon and I actually really liked it. I didn't love it but it really got me interested in a lot of things about it.

And right after I finished the movie I went ahead and started digging around about Astro Boy and watched the 60's cartoon (as much as i could handle anyway) and moved on to the 80's cartoon, which is where I fell in love with him. Then months later I watched the 2003 cartoon, which the subs were finally available to me since I refuse to watch the dub for too many reasons, and I absolutely fell in love with that one. Though the 80's cartoon still has those heart tugging episodes that will always have a special place in my heart.

By then I knew a lot about Astro Boy, and now looking back at the movie, I see just how bad in comparison it is to the others. But I do remember watching it as a stand alone movie and it still being pretty good, though it did have those times where the moment was ruined by awkward cheesiness or something. Regardless, overall it was pretty good and damn interesting. It didn't do the Astro Boy series justice, but it was still pretty decent and did in fact even made me cry.

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 9 years ago

Where did you watch the sub, FunsizedCake? I've wanted to see it for a while.
(Sorry if this is going off-subject)
The only part I really didn't like about the movie was the orange alien thing. It was too cliche. Even though it was the Artificial Sun, I wish they left the ending alone.
Last edited by Umbral-Coltwings on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:hyo: whoops

FunsizedCake
Kokoro Robot

"Umbral-Coltwings" wrote:Where did you watch the sub, FunsizedCake? I've wanted to see it for a while.
(Sorry if this is going off-subject)
The only part I really didn't like about the movie was the orange alien thing. It was too cliche. Even though it was the Artificial Sun, I wish they left the ending alone.

I got lucky and found a torrent, but It's been taken down. There are several websites where you can watch it online subbed, i dunno if all the episodes will be available though.

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 9 years ago

"FunsizedCake" wrote:I got lucky and found a torrent, but It's been taken down. There are several websites where you can watch it online subbed, i dunno if all the episodes will be available though.

If only Sony would let us see all of the subs. :(

To stay on the subject (again) the only other thing I didn't like about the movie was Tenma's eyes. They kinda creeped me out. :eek:
:tenma: "What did you say about my eyes?"
:hyo:
:hyo: whoops

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”