Reprints of original manga

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Reprints of original manga

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

:lol: I finally was able to buy the first of 7 sets, but I paid through the nose for it! The only seller who would ship internationally wanted a rather high price for it.

But, anyway, I received it yesterday, flipped through all the books, & one story must have been drawn by somebody other than :tezuka: , in fact, I recall reading about that in one of Tezuka's intros in the DH. :blush: I already forgot which one! It will be a while before I get around to examining the set in detail, so be patient, I will discuss this particular comic in detail eventually, & if I ever have a book published, all the more so.

CAPTAIN ATOM was in this set, & as :tezuka: wrote, though :astro: was the title character, he was in no way the main one. The rewritten story SPACE TRAVELERS, in which Atom is the main character, is also among my collection. I suppose I will eventually compare the two, but as already stated, it will be a while before I even start a thorough examination of this set.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 9 years ago

Which one was it? I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's the Japanese version, right?

Anyway, looking through Amazon Japan, I did find these:
[url]http://www.amazon.co.jp/長編冒険漫画-鉄腕アトム-1956-57・復刻版-1-手塚治虫/dp/4835451368/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413920329&sr=1-1&keywords=鉄腕アトム[/url]
[url]http://www.amazon.co.jp/長編冒険漫画-鉄腕アトム-1956-57・復刻版-2/dp/4835451376/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413920329&sr=1-2&keywords=鉄腕アトム[/url]
[url]http://www.amazon.co.jp/長編冒険漫画-鉄腕アトム-1956-57・復刻版-3-手塚治虫/dp/4835451384/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413920329&sr=1-6&keywords=鉄腕アトム[/url]

It's all priced at ¥6156 for those wondering. It looks like yet another edition of 鉄腕アトム. I'd consider getting it if it weren't for the fact that I've been so lazy with studying Japanese, but maybe later on I'll consider getting it when my Japanese gets better.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

The artwork looks similar to the dark horse editions. I wonder if those are the same reissues that the dh sets were based on.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:o hmy: None of those, but rather,
917WMJJKugL._SY75_CR,0,0,75,75_.jpg
917WMJJKugL._SY75_CR,0,0,75,75_.jpg (2.17 KiB) Viewed 2236 times

[url=http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%89%84%E8%85%95%E3%82%A2%E3%83%88%E3%83%A0%E3%80%8A%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B8%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E7%89%88%E3%80%8B%E5%BE%A9%E5%88%BB%E5%A4%A7%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86-%E3%83%A6%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%83%881-%E6%89%8B%E5%A1%9A%E6%B2%BB%E8%99%AB/dp/4862354912/ref=pd_ybh_21]鉄腕アトム《オリジナル版》復刻大全集 ユニット1 コミック –[/url]
This is the 1st of 7 sets, & has been out of print for a year or so; as such, those selling it are asking high prices. Moreover, this 1st set was limited to 1000; while the subsequent sets were about 2000.

I do not know what those that you suggest are, though it appears they are color versions.

1st set: skyscraper / Mars exploration prologue (drawn) fly / Frankenstein / Serpent Island / sky

2nd set: Volume of winding / winding of cobalt / Frozen human ZZZ President / Guernica

3rd set: Astro Boy's parents (drawn) cat / lightning human red / gas man /

Though I cannot be sure these are entirely color, the price, when compared to the sets I bought, is very low.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 9 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote: :lol: I finally was able to buy the first of 7 sets, but I paid through the nose for it! The only seller who would ship internationally wanted a rather high price for it.

But, anyway, I received it yesterday, flipped through all the books, & one story must have been drawn by somebody other than :tezuka: , in fact, I recall reading about that in one of Tezuka's intros in the DH. :blush: I already forgot which one! It will be a while before I get around to examining the set in detail, so be patient, I will discuss this particular comic in detail eventually, & if I ever have a book published, all the more so.

CAPTAIN ATOM was in this set, & as :tezuka: wrote, though :astro: was the title character, he was in no way the main one. The rewritten story SPACE TRAVELERS, in which Atom is the main character, is also among my collection. I suppose I will eventually compare the two, but as already stated, it will be a while before I even start a thorough examination of this set.

You, sir, are blessed! If this is the first of the boxset of Mighty Atom manga as they were originally published by Kobunsha Pro. then you, sir, are the luckiest man in the world! I tried to buy this set thru Kinokuniya ages ago only to be told they had sold out. Yet you were able to find someone who was willing to sell this treasure. No doubt you paid a handsome price, but as you know any Astro Boy fan who is worth their weight in gold would have given anything from their eye teeth to their newborn to possess this. Yes, Jeffbert you are the envy of all of Astro Boy fandom! Only don't take too long to share, as we all are anxious (or at least I am) to see the evolution of Mighty Atom aka Astro Boy!

I :heart: :astro: :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

It was no trouble finding sellers of this set, but finding 1 who ships internationally, that was a lengthy process. I checked the sellers' page for a year at least. Do not worry, ASTROBUDDY, I will share details, if not also a few images.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 9 years ago

Thanks jeffbert. I've been wanting the original manga (or at least a reprint) for quite some time. While these prices are very high (and not something I'd want to buy until I can actually read Japanese and can afford it, whenever that'll be), I will be keeping my eye on this set.

Someday it'll be all mine...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

You are welcome. AS IT IS ALREADY OUT OF PRINT, I expect the price to keep going up.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 9 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote: :o hmy: None of those, but rather,
[attachment=]3505[/attachment]
[url=http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%89%84%E8%85%95%E3%82%A2%E3%83%88%E3%83%A0%E3%80%8A%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B8%E3%83%8A%E3%83%AB%E7%89%88%E3%80%8B%E5%BE%A9%E5%88%BB%E5%A4%A7%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86-%E3%83%A6%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%83%881-%E6%89%8B%E5%A1%9A%E6%B2%BB%E8%99%AB/dp/4862354912/ref=pd_ybh_21]鉄腕アトム《オリジナル版》復刻大全集 ユニット1 コミック –[/url]
This is the 1st of 7 sets, & has been out of print for a year or so; as such, those selling it are asking high prices. Moreover, this 1st set was limited to 1000; while the subsequent sets were about 2000.

I do not know what those that you suggest are, though it appears they are color versions.

1st set: skyscraper / Mars exploration prologue (drawn) fly / Frankenstein / Serpent Island / sky

2nd set: Volume of winding / winding of cobalt / Frozen human ZZZ President / Guernica

3rd set: Astro Boy's parents (drawn) cat / lightning human red / gas man /

Though I cannot be sure these are entirely color, the price, when compared to the sets I bought, is very low.

While looking at the page you provided it looks like the "Ambassador Atom" manga might be the same one I have from the "Birthday" set that came out in 2003. I hope when you get a chance, you will be able to tell me if the page introducing Atom is the one on the right or the one on the left.

I :heart: :astro: :)
Attachments
ORIGNAL CAPTAIN ATOM.jpg
ORIGNAL CAPTAIN ATOM.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
ORIGINAL AMBASSADOR ATOM.jpg
ORIGINAL AMBASSADOR ATOM.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Tenma is the creator; I have never before seen the guy on the left! By my count, CA actually has 627 panels; easy to do, because they were all numbered. The rewrite, which Tezuka titled "THE SPACE TRAVELERS" (not sure about the definite article, though (the 'the')) had about 150 more panels, and had reused most of the originals, but with new dialog for the most part. The KAPPA version was not CA but ST, & DH is actually a translation of what for the most part is the K, though I believe DH uses the Akita Shonen version. In DH, Tezuka prefaces the reworked story with the entire 1st chapter of CA. :astro:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”