2003 Series Gets a New Region 1 DVD Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:That's not really possible, though. You can write them something, but they'll dismiss it super fast if it's not something urgent or something that'll get them money, as I've learned from experience. All we can do about this release is just not buy it. (Or, at least only buy it secondhand.)

Yeah, Sony is unfortunately huge and we are small and probably unhearable. I'd love to support new releases but I'm unsure if this would tell them we want it uncut, or if it would tell them we want more badly dubbed anime :unsure:
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Ya know, that's a good point...
lolwut

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:It's not funny, and it's not really your place to say anything about whatever imagined "progress" I might be making. I'm still angry at you, so it's only natural for me to assume that the animosity is mutual.

Then please do not passive-aggressively discuss or allude to things that happened literally one year ago. It is exhausting. Nobody needs to be reminded of arguments off-site, let alone one with a nature that is inappropriate for this all-ages forum. It is awkward for an outsider to see your references to it, and incredibly awkward for someone who knows what happened to have to be reminded. You don't like some of us, and that's okay. But don't post allusions to it on a public forum where nearly anyone could see it and publicly question it.

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:[QUOTE=Fauna;234419]
That's not really possible, though. You can write them something, but they'll dismiss it super fast if it's not something urgent or something that'll get them money, as I've learned from experience. All we can do about this release is just not buy it. (Or, at least only buy it secondhand.)

Yeah, Sony is unfortunately huge and we are small and probably unhearable. I'd love to support new releases but I'm unsure if this would tell them we want it uncut, or if it would tell them we want more badly dubbed anime :unsure: [/QUOTE]

With this new release, there's nothing we really can do, I think. My friend who recently got the new release says these DVDs are super downgraded; she claims they don't even have the Portuguese and Spanish language options that the previous DVDs have had: "A hard drive with all the episodes on it as .MKVs is less cold than this."

It looks like our only option yet again is to ignore Sony's release, but pick up other AB media later this year, like Little Astro Boy and the AB manga omnibus. If Sony notices other companies making money off Astro Boy while they aren't, they'll have to take a look at what they're doing wrong.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

I didn't allude to anything. The fact that every fandom has certain unsavory elements, including this one, is already common knowledge. I did not directly or indirectly reference any specific event; you lot chose to see it that way, and that is not my fault. I would like for you to stop talking to me about it; I find it unnecessary and harassing.

Now then. Are we really sure that they're going to get it? They may even just give up at this point.
lolwut

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 8 years ago

Is there still no Japanese version of this? How is this the only anime that has it's japanese version so.... underground. I'd buy this if it also had Jap with Eng Subs.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

"Meeshell" wrote:Is there still no Japanese version of this? How is this the only anime that has it's japanese version so.... underground. I'd buy this if it also had Jap with Eng Subs.

Yeah, and it still astounds me! Like, you'd almost think Sony would give partial North American distribution rights to another company like Viz by now. The only DVDs you can find with subtitles are the knockoff sets from South Korea, Hong Kong, or mainland China, but they're highly discouraged in my opinion.

Also, I just came across someone selling this 2015 set for about $10 USD, and I'm considering being a guinea pig for the forum. I mean, that IS a pretty good deal for the whole series, and I don't own a physical copy yet...
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 8 years ago

The Korean DVDs are official and were subtitled, unfortunately Sony just kind of stopped releasing them halfway through and I almost feel like they did it on purpose to piss off people importing them.
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:The Korean DVDs are official and were subtitled, unfortunately Sony just kind of stopped releasing them halfway through and I almost feel like they did it on purpose to piss off people importing them.

Yeah but some of those were pressed in VCD format instead of DVD.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:The Korean DVDs are official and were subtitled, unfortunately Sony just kind of stopped releasing them halfway through and I almost feel like they did it on purpose to piss off people importing them.

Wow, so it sounds like Sony knows perfectly well we want this, is mad the show didn't work the way THEY wanted to do it and is now just being a baby...

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 8 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:[QUOTE=F-Man;234487]The Korean DVDs are official and were subtitled, unfortunately Sony just kind of stopped releasing them halfway through and I almost feel like they did it on purpose to piss off people importing them.

Yeah but some of those were pressed in VCD format instead of DVD.[/QUOTE]

If the series at least continued as VCDs with English subtitles that would've been fantastic, but that's not the case.
I'm on Twitter.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”