How did you find out about Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

How did you find out about Astro Boy?

Postby TetsuwanToby » 8 years ago

I think this will be fun! The rules are simple just tell your story on how you found astro boy and why you love it so much.

For example I found out about Astro Boy when the movie came out in America and I loved it so much that I watched it on DVD over and over again. I hid the movie from my mom because she needed to take it back to blockbuster. I was sad when we had to return it but then I found the 2003 series on Netflix. I found out about the 1980 and 1963 anime so I watched those as well.

Have fun!

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 8 years ago

I also found it with the movie. After that, I watched the 2003 series on netflix. Then I forgot all about it. Last year, we got the movie, I watched the 2003 series again, and loved it. Later on, I found the 1960s and 1980s, and that's how I found it I guess.
:hyo: whoops

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

I discovered Astro Boy when the '03 series aired on Toonami back in 2004. I actually didn't like it back then due to the English dubbing. I rediscovered Astro Boy in January 2011 whenever I saw Michael Cera wearing his Astro Boy t-shirt in the 2010 Scott Pilgrim movie. I decided to check out Astro Boy again and began to like it a lot more. I joined this forum in March 2011 and, as they say, the rest is history.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

I discovered Astro Boy when I was just a child of about 7 years old. Back then (in the mid 1990s) I had a very strong love for Rockman/Megaman (still do) and my parents got ahold of some Astro Boy VHS tapes of the 1960s series. I was instantly drawn to them. Some time passed and I lost interest in the series, and it was not until 2004 when the 03 series was aired that I got back into the series again for a time, but I was unaware of the forum and did not even join until many many years later until my interest was piqued again when I started to collect the series.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

For many years the only version of Astro Boy that I knew of was the 'original' 1963 episodes that Fred Ladd had translated for NBC productions. It aired in NYC on channel 5 when I was 10 years old. I didn't know then that it was a Japanese production, and I never knew who Osmau Tezuka was (his name WAS in the credits, but I doubt I ever noticed it back then.)

It wasn't until the advent of the Internet and Hulu that I became aware of the existence of the 1980 and 2003 versions of the anime. But the real spark was one day while I was in a movie theatre sitting though the 'coming attractions' before the main feature started, and then came those famous words ... "In this secret lab .." That was the moment of 're-discovery' for me that lead to an Internet search. It was like living a part of my childhood all over again.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

I actually knew of Astro Boy as a kid from a Calvin and Hobbes comic Image
and at six years old, I thought they just made the name up until my dad mentioned it was a cartoon he watched as a kid. Saw some pictures and thought it looked silly XD cut to the early 2000s when the manga was released and I saw it, read the back of it stating how influential it was to modern anime and thought; "Really? That silly cartoon my dad used to watch? This oughta be good for a laugh." And before I knew it, I was hooked on it. I was blown away by the serious message of racism and segregation and basically though; "Wow, this was X-Men before X-Men." The dark tones it was capable of beneath the cartoonish Fleischer look impressed me too. But I especially loved the main character in Astro. He was just such a good and sweet character that you couldn't just help but love him. I've also always been a fan of cute robot characters. (R2D2 and C3PO were my favorite characters before I even became a Star Wars fan XD) I got into the animes later. Especially the 2003 series. Even though it's the first time I ever boycotted a dub XD
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TetsuwanToby » 8 years ago

That`s so funny! Dragonrider1227 :D

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

XD it is, isn't it?

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 8 years ago

My dad rented it from Blockbuster for me when I was very young. Then I watched the new series on Cartoon Network in 2004.

Fanficlover99
Banned

Postby Fanficlover99 » 8 years ago

i was too young and naive to know about the 2003 series (probably because my dad thought he was a gay icon or something like that) then i saw the 2009 film in theaters on the day it came out here, then the following month, Fantastic mr. Fox came out and changed my life forever, (Still my favorite movie BTW) that's why many people forgot about it later on and got negative backlash from idiots such as The Blockbuster Buster (i hate that guy :mad :) years later after i became a Godzilla fan (still am to this day :heart :) i then watch the 63' series on Youtube in 2013, (the 50th annaversary) and i wasn't the same since then, :astro: i get very nostalgia on 2013 for some odd reason :unsure:
Last edited by Fanficlover99 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
check out my DA page
http://doctorwhovian1963.deviantart.com/ :hyo:
you can also check me out on fanfiction here https://www.fanfiction.net/~doctorwhovian63

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”