Astro Boy Candy Keychains?!?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Binzhou5
Kokoro Robot

Astro Boy Candy Keychains?!?

Postby Binzhou5 » 8 years ago

What the heck are these!? I'm looking for the value of these mini keychain things that also appear to candy as there are nutrition facts on the back. I was wondering if anybody had a clue as to what these are, and what I should do with them. :confused:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

They do seem to be food of some kind considering the ingredients list, but they also appear to have little loop tabs that would suggest they are cell phone charms or something...

If I could see the writing under the bubble plastic it may just say what they are supposed to be but since the product is covering it up all I can see is a couple katekana characters that don't tell me much.

I'm not sure what you should do with them other than don't eat them. They are really interesting though and some of them are pretty cute.

They might also be for cake decorating and you're supposed to break off the loop tabs before placing them on whatever you want to decorate.

Binzhou5
Kokoro Robot

Postby Binzhou5 » 8 years ago

Thanks very much, the front's coming off, so I'll send you a picture of the cardboard by itself.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

I think these are bootleg versions of blindbox candy toys, which came out in 2003/4. I have a few myself:

They were originally put randomly in little boxes with tie-in candy, and you couldn't tell beforehand what figure you'd get. The Atlas is pretty sought-after, apparently.

These look like someone made a cast of the official figures, and mass produced them with scans of the Japanese packaging. I haven't seen these figures bootlegged before! I do have a soft spot for bootleg merchandise, and if your figures are still cute and sturdy, that's all that matters.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 8 years ago

I want to eat a candy Atlas! Those aren't edible- nyoron~~~? Reminds me of when I was one month too late to get an Excel Saga Can-o-Menchi. (pic no longer available (backup cd in storage if it's still readable)), but that relabeled canned chicken would've been devoured on the expiry date!) I was also not able to get any Digi Candy :( .

I bet it was Konpeito, but I will never know if it was actually closer to formed Flintstones vitamins with a hard-candy coating.

Last edited by Anapan on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

I want those durn little keychains! Omigosh!

Also, I definitely feel like I've seen the Atlas before. And maybe one of Uran...
lolwut

Earthshine

Why are they candy though? I'm not proficient in the manufacturing of toys nor am I a collector so this is a subject I know nothing of.

They are really cute though.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Why are they candy though? I'm not proficient in the manufacturing of toys nor am I a collector so this is a subject I know nothing of.

They are really cute though.

No, no, the figures aren't made of candy! They just come with candy. Usually a blind box figure and its candy are wrapped separately from each other. These figures are still stiff resin.

And Anapan, I'd certainly hope they came with konpeito, too! Star candy would be perfect to put with Astro Boy.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Earthshine

Ah that makes so much more sense! Thanks for clarification, Fauna. I was having nightmare images of these things getting sticky and fuzzy and all sorts of nasty.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Ah that makes so much more sense! Thanks for clarification, Fauna. I was having nightmare images of these things getting sticky and fuzzy and all sorts of nasty.

I guess they were like the 'prize' in a box of 'Crackerjacks'.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”