Go Astro Boy Go! (2019 Animated Series)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Wow, they're really kinda... jumping the gun here a lil bit, huh.

Anyways, it really does have that sort of "fake/wannabe anime" look to it, save for Ochanomizu (or who is probably Ochanomizu, anyways). I've... never really dug that look, tbh. Or at least, I don't now...

Once again, I am sure that this is not made for people like me; it's probably more kiddie schlock. That said, I hope it's a wee bit less obnoxious; it could still be something really cute. Kind of curious as to how it looks in motion.

Also, what the heck are those vaguely fuzzy-looking flying critters? The bigger one sort of reminds me of a knockoff Hyotantsugi, or something.

It's a bit interesting that they decided to stick Atomcat in there. I wonder what role he plays? Obviously he's probably a sidekick, and it's not too terribly unlikely that he's a pet, either. This would be the first time that he's been in an animated series. He's also very... blue. This further impresses upon me the idea that he could actually be "Cobalt" this time around, in a manner of speaking... if Uran shows up, anyway. Although it's still not impossible, if unlikely in either case.

This is just so weird.
lolwut

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 8 years ago

I'll be honest, I kinda prefer the style of the first Little Astro Boy. It was cute and colorful and it really popped. The art style here is also cute, but it kinda reminds me of the kind of art you'd see in a flash game or a mobile phone app. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it'll definitely be interesting to see in motion before I go passing too much judgement.

Ochanomizu doesn't look like he fits with the rest of the characters, but his design is honestly my favorite. He's so delightfully cartoony looking. As for Atomcat, I don't really mind either way whether or not he's supposed to be the Cobalt of the series. I mean, I personally doubt it given Cobalt's poor track record for actually being in things (I obviously won't object if it turns out I'm wrong though. :p ) I'm just happy to see an animated Atomcat because that was my first Tezuka manga and thus holds a special place in my heart. :heart:

The series will probably be for really young kids like the last one, and I've got no problem with that. I just hope that with more episodes, the pacing will be a little slower, because the first Little Astro Boy just felt waaaay too fast for my sorry American butt watching it at 2 a.m. :lol:

It probably won't be anything super amazing or revolutionary, but I'm still pretty optimistic about it. More Astro Boy content is always fine by me.
It's a magical day!

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

I'll admit that it is good to see him getting so much attention after all these years. I do hope that more comes of this, and that he actually becomes popular again- he is borderline criminally under-appreciated in this day and age.
lolwut

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

Atomcat in the same universe as Atom? There's no way you could merge the two stories without some major changes. I'm excited to see what they come up with, though. I can see Atomcat being a favorite with little kids.

The art bothers me, it does look a little bit like an ugly app game. The character designs are inconsistent, too, it seems like they're drawn in different styles. But it's still pretty early so that could change.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 8 years ago

It is possible, that the reason why each character has been drawn in a different style from one another, is because they are concept drawings that have been patched together to create the poster. The quality, I hope is only poor because they are concept character designs, as usually the concept artists on the production team are ordered to come up with various designs and then one is picked by the team as a whole. But I must say, the quality and designs are indeed, 'cheap' looking. I can see recycled heads, eyes, eyebrows and mouths in the poster, which is not a good sign.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"Rejoyce" wrote:Atomcat in the same universe as Atom? There's no way you could merge the two stories without some major changes. I'm excited to see what they come up with, though. I can see Atomcat being a favorite with little kids.

The art bothers me, it does look a little bit like an ugly app game. The character designs are inconsistent, too, it seems like they're drawn in different styles. But it's still pretty early so that could change.

I can easily see how to merge the Atomcat character into the mainstream Astro universe. Yes it does mean ONLY taking the cat and leaving Tsugio out of the story, (though he could be added as one of Astro's friends, and actually, if you think about it, his character is sorta like Tamao).

In fact, I am working on a story based on such an idea, the inspiration for it has already been discussed in another thread. I will post the story in a day or so.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

Isn't Astro Boy reboot also French? I hope this isn't a sign they've given up on that for this. Strange they'd be working on two separate Astro cartoons. Is this a different studio?
"Rejoyce" wrote:Atomcat in the same universe as Atom? There's no way you could merge the two stories without some major changes. I'm excited to see what they come up with, though. I can see Atomcat being a favorite with little kids.

I'm not the only one who thought this looks like an app game XD I'm personally not that thrilled with the art style here. I too preferred the previous Little Astro Boy style. Kinda wish they'd drop this and make more of that.
I especially don't like Ochanomizus' design. The others are kinda bland bit at least are a little pleasant to the eyes. Ochanomizu on the other hand looks like the stuff of nightmares .___.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Isn't Astro Boy reboot also French? I hope this isn't a sign they've given up on that for this. Strange they'd be working on two separate Astro cartoons. Is this a different studio?
[QUOTE=Rejoyce;239687]Atomcat in the same universe as Atom? There's no way you could merge the two stories without some major changes. I'm excited to see what they come up with, though. I can see Atomcat being a favorite with little kids.

I'm not the only one who thought this looks like an app game XD I'm personally not that thrilled with the art style here. I too preferred the previous Little Astro Boy style. Kinda wish they'd drop this and make more of that.
I especially don't like Ochanomizus' design. The others are kinda bland bit at least are a little pleasant to the eyes. Ochanomizu on the other hand looks like the stuff of nightmares .___.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything negative about it, as it's certainly a... unique approach to Ochan's design. But uh, yeah, I'm really not feeling it.

Also, as long as we are being honest rn, the style for the rest of the characters looks ungodly cheap, like a crappy flash-animated cartoon from back in the day that tries way too hard to be anime, and fails miserably at it. I suppose in this sense, it is also vaguely reminiscent of a cheap app game (not that I've seen too many, as I don't have a smartphone still).

As for who is developing what, Shibuya Productions is in charge of the Reboot (although the animation itself is by Caribara Animation); LAB2 is by... Planet Nemo, right? Is that correct?

I do wish that they would emulate the style of the first LAB series, if they did nothing else. With better voice casting and music, that could have been a delightful little gem of a show; it still has a nice art style, if little else.

If the basic premise is natural/eco disasters and/or related events, then wouldn't Leo have been a better go-to choice than Atom...?
lolwut

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Isn't Astro Boy reboot also French? I hope this isn't a sign they've given up on that for this. Strange they'd be working on two separate Astro cartoons. Is this a different studio?

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:[As for who is developing what, Shibuya Productions is in charge of the Reboot (although the animation itself is by Caribara Animation); LAB2 is by... Planet Nemo, right? Is that correct?

Correct, LBF; they're both being developed by different companies.

Also, technically, Dragonrider, Shibuya Productions is Monacan/French/Japanese. Shibuya Productions is from Monaco, Caribara Animation is from France, and then of course you have Tezuka Productions as well.

LAB2 is by Planet Nemo (French) and by Tezuka Productions.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

"Shiyonasan" wrote:[QUOTE=Dragonrider1227;239716]Isn't Astro Boy reboot also French? I hope this isn't a sign they've given up on that for this. Strange they'd be working on two separate Astro cartoons. Is this a different studio?

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:[As for who is developing what, Shibuya Productions is in charge of the Reboot (although the animation itself is by Caribara Animation); LAB2 is by... Planet Nemo, right? Is that correct?

Correct, LBF; they're both being developed by different companies.

Also, technically, Dragonrider, Shibuya Productions is Monacan/French/Japanese. Shibuya Productions is from Monaco, Caribara Animation is from France, and then of course you have Tezuka Productions as well.

LAB2 is by Planet Nemo (French) and by Tezuka Productions.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay. That makes sense then. Thanks :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”