The Black Knight

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

Dr. O'Shay stood behind Reno and Cobalt as the two of them examined the many pages of data that had been downloaded from the collective memories of Astro and Atlas. Cobalt rapidly took notes on a second terminal, his fingers dancing on the keyboard, moving rapidly in a blur.
“What is your theory about the alien satellite?”, the doctor asked.

Cobalt twisted his body to look behind him as he turned to face the professor. “It's a long story Hakase,” he said. “You may not be able to believe it, and I wouldn't blame you.”

“Perhaps you'd better get your facts together in the form of a formal presentation,” O'Shay suggested, “Just like I have to do every time I have to make a proposal to the Ministry's board of directors.”

“I can do that,” Cobalt smiled. “Perhaps later this afternoon.”

“Good.” The professor placed his right hand on Cobalt's shoulder. “We can use the lecture room, You and Reno can connect the media displays to the mainframe computer and use the full graphical displays.”

“I'll need Astro, Atlas, and Reno's help.” Cobalt replied.

“Sure, I'll be there.” Atlas said. “I'd like to finally know just what's been happening to me.”

Uran looked scared as she watched her older brother. “What does this all mean, Coby?” she asked.

“Don't worry, Imōto,” Cobalt said. “Now that I know what's been happening to me, Astro and Atlas, I can control it. I won't weird out on you anymore.”

“But what does it mean?” she asked pointing to the computer.

“Why don't you sit in the back of the room with Hakase?”, Cobalt smiled. “I'll explain it all then. I may seem a bit crazy to you, it does to me actually. I wish I could talk to Hawking.”

Cobalt stood at the front of the long room that normally served as the lecture hall. There was a considerable echo caused by the emptiness of the place that had been designed to house a class load of several hundred students. He stood at the podium just in front of several huge computer monitor screens. Reno sat a table to his left, where a laptop computer was connected to the mainframe that was feeding the displays. Cobalt fingered the remote pointer which enabled him to manipulate the presentation from his end.

Astro and Atlas sat in front of a small table to Cobalt's right. They faced toward Cobalt so they could look out into the audience and view the displays.

Dr. O'Shay sat in the first row of the lecture hall, with Uran at his side. Mars, trying to make his presence be ignored, was sitting a score of rows back, slouching in his seat. Cobalt had secretly asked him to show up.

Cobalt looked about him, and then signaled to Reno to bring up the first slide. An image of the strange alien spacecraft popped up large on the huge XD computer display panel behind him. “What you see here is the infamous Black Knight satellite that has been reported in Earth orbit since the early days of the space age,” he started.
“There have been many theories about it, from it being a doomsday weapons platform, to some kind of extraterrestrial intelligence sent by a civilization studying us. The satellite seems to have the ability to hide its presence and change its location in the blink of an eye. Reno and I have just finished analyzing data we downloaded from the memories of Astro and Atlas who tried to make physical contact with the entity.”

“Tried to make contact?”, Atlas interrupted. “We were just inside the damn thing!”

“Well that is what you remember,” Cobalt answered. “Tell me, what did it tell you?”

“That it had been in orbit for millions of years waiting for humans to create robots,” Atlas replied. “It had been carefully influencing mankind to this purpose, and now wants to use us to create a new cybernetic civilization in its image.”

“Is that what you heard, Astro?” Cobalt asked.

“Not exactly.” Astro replied. I didn't hear the part about subjecting mankind, but rather about protecting human civilization.”

“Yes,” Cobalt answered, “According to the data we extracted from your memories, each of you interrupted the Black Knight differently, as did I.”

“It spoke to you?” Astro asked. “You weren't in space with us.”

“True, but I was in contact with it none the less,” Cobalt replied. “And I also heard a slightly different message.”

Cobalt used the hand held control to switch the display to a different image. The computer now displayed the real time graphics of a popular simulation game.

“What does this have to do with the Black Knight?”, the professor asked.

“Have you ever played a virtual reality computer simulation game, Hakase?” Cobalt asked.

“I'm at least several generations too old to have been interested in such things,” the professor laughed. “Although I have used V.R. simulations in the laboratory to design and test bits of hardware that couldn't be built for real as prototypes.”

“I have,” Reno volunteered.

“Good,” Cobalt continued. “How good were those simulations, could you tell that they were in fact simulation and not reality?”

“Yes,” the doctor and Reno replied almost together. “The simulations are limited in just how deeply they immerse you in the virtual world,” Reno conjectured. “Not all of your senses are engaged, and the fidelity of the simulations are not good enough to be completely mistaken for the real world. Most of the current games do good enough job to make the simulation work.”

“I'd say that's true,” the doctor added. “At least the current software does allow me to test new hardware to the point where it is possible to attempt to produce a working prototype.”

“Excellent,” Cobalt said. “Now imagine that the fidelity of current V.R. systems improves to the point where it's impossible to tell the difference between the simulation and the real world. Then endow the simulation with its own A.I. so that it becomes self aware. I propose that the simulation would not know that it was a simulation, nor would anyone interacting with it.”
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

“Wait a minute!”, Atlas jumped up. “Are you trying to tell us that the Black Knight is simply a computer simulation projected onto our A.I.'s?”

“Not exactly,” Cobalt said slowly. “Remember, that it was visible to humans, long before we robots became aware of it.”

“You don't mean …?” Astro voiced.

“If you're going where I think you're going with this,” Dr. O'Shay injected, “Then you're right, I am going to find this hard to believe.”

“I think there may be a way to prove this, Hakase” Reno quavered.

“WTF are you guy's talking about?” Atlas demanded.

“Boy are you stupid!” Mars yelled as he left his seat and marched towards to front of the room. “Yeah, this explains everything, I always thought the universe made no sense! You got any more bright ideas?”

“Hakase, I'm scared, what's going on?” Uran sobbed, clinging to the professor.

Cobalt clicked on the remote to bring up another slide showing computer models of what looked like part of an object oriented software description. “What our analysis of the data dump we got from our A.I.'s”, he started to say glancing at his brother and Atlas, “Is that the Black Knight is a projection from another reality into our own. It is an access point, an API if you will, from outside of a computer simulation that contains everything in our known universe. I know this sounds very weird, impossibly so, but the data we've analyzed suggest that we exist inside of a computer simulation being run outside of our universe, by another civilization far more advanced than ourselves.”

“No way!” Atlas scoffed.

“Really” Mars laughed. “Hey Reno, wouldn't be even weirder if this civilization that is simulating us is in turn being simulated by yet another even more advanced civilization, and so on? You make me laugh!”

“Actually,” Reno replied with a look of horror on his face, “the odds of that not being the case are almost zero!”
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

My home page

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

The Black Knight, part five

The Black Knight

Five

The crackling of Yuko's voice over the intercom interrupted the meeting. “Dr. O'Shay,” Yuko broke in, “The radio observatory has reported contact with the alien satellite again,”

“Thank you, Yuko,” The professor replied. “Perhaps we should continue this session in the lab where we can have access to the mainframe computers, and the link to the observatory.”

The group left the lecture hall and headed back to the laboratory complex.
The Laboratory's large monitor screen showed the image of the alien satellite as rendered by the main computer processing the radar data from the telescope.
“The Black Knight is still invisible in the visible light spectrum,” Yuko noted. “For some reason we can only detect it by its own radio emissions, or by its refraction of background radio noise, that is a passive radar image. Most strange.”

“Explain to me why the Black Knight put a different message into my head than Astro,” Atlas asked.

“Your A.I. is programmed to mildly distrust humans,” Reno snapped back at him.

“But you've just told us that it isn't real,” Mars interrupted, “In fact, you've just said that nothing is real, the entire universe is just a made up game!”

“That isn't true.” the professor replied. “If Reno's theory is correct, and mind you until I can examine all of his data and run some computer simulations of my own, I'm still quite skeptical of this, everything inside of such a virtual reality would pass every test as to it's being 'real'.”

“But Hakase,” Cobalt pointed out, “That means that proving the universe is the result of a computer simulation being run from outside would be impossible, for as you've just said, there could be no test of its reality that could fail.”

“Maybe not.” Dr. O'Shay laughed. “However my programming skills might not be up to the task. However, I know someone that could possibly shed some light on the problem.”

Astro nodded. “Yes, perhaps I should be the one to approach him.”

“I was hoping you'd suggest that,” the professor smiled.

Astro fidgeted nervously as he waited in front of the old house. The three story mansion had been undergoing a massive reconstruction since Dr. Tenma had moved back in, after he had finally been released from the mental institution. Astro had been helping his creator adjust to living by himself, but it hadn't exactly been an easy adjustment for either of them. Dr. O'Shay stood a few paces behind the boy robot. He hadn't spoken to Tenma in quite some time, so he had decided to allow Astro to break the ice.

Umataro opened the front door and smiled when he saw the boy robot. “Hello To.. excuse me, Astro, I see you've brought a guest along. Kon'nichiwa O'Shay Hakase, To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?”

“It's been a while since we've last spoke, Tenma Sensei,” The professor replied. “A rather puzzling problem seems to have surfaced, the solution to which may involve an advanced analysis of an A.I. software question.”

“To which you are no doubt clueless,” Tenma laughed. “You do know that among the many conditions that were placed on my being released from the mental care facility where I have resided for the past years, was that I would not be allowed access to any advanced computer facilities.”

“Unsupervised,” the professor added. “You left out that part. You will be supervised, and watched like a hawk.”

“Not interested.” Tenma shrugged his shoulders. “But do come in for some tea.”

“Please, Sensei,” Astro asked, “at least take a look at the data that Reno has extracted from my electronic brain.”

The doctor poured a cup of green tea and passed it to the professor, and then filled his own cup. He slowly brought it to his lips and sipped it, before speaking.
“You didn't mention that the problem had to do with Astro,” Tenma said. “I would of course do anything for him.”

“Not directly,” O'Shay replied. “He and several other robots came upon the influence of the controlling emissions of an alien satellite that may have been in orbit around this planet for eons.”

“Ah, the Black Knight,” Tenma voiced.

“You know of it?”, O'Shay queried.

“I've been aware of its existence for decades,” Umataro answered. “I first discovered its presence when I activated one of my first advanced Kokoro robot prototypes.”

“Me?” Astro asked.

“No, Tobio,” Tenma said. “You were not the first.”

“Of course, Kobaruto,” the professor nodded.

“He was not the first either.” Tenma responded.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

“The military had come to the Ministry of Science with a request that we develop a prototype for a super robot that would be mass produced to create a robotic army.” Tenma recalled. “I initially refused to work on the project, so the general who had initiated the request offered the project to two scientists that were working outside of the formal channels. Dr. Yamanoue was a genius in the field of artificial intelligence, his reputation was almost as highly regarded as my own. Dr. Kawashimo is a well known engineer of robotic hardware, and he developed many of the systems that I later improved upon when I created you, Tobio.”

“Wait, I thought that Mars had been brought on line after Atom,” Dr. O'Shay interrupted.

“Officially yes,” Umataro nodded. “Dr. Y had some difficulty in getting Mar's computer brain to function, so he called me and asked for my assistance. Mar's was the very first robot to have a true Korkoro A.I. As his robotic body was not yet ready I used a simpler robot from the Ministry's laboratory as a test bed for the electronic brain prototype. It would be several years later before Dr. Kawashimo had completed the final version of the robot's body. By that time, I'd already built Atom.
Anyway, when we first activated Mar's electronic brain, the computer overloaded from data overflow. Dr. Y and myself did a comprehensive analysis of the problem, and we discovered that the electronic brain had somehow networked itself with another system that located somewhere in Earth orbit. The alien satellite revealed itself to me via its contact with my A.I. software.”

“You know what this Alien spacecraft is, Sensei?” The professor asked.

“Probably about as much as you do,” Tenma replied. “It's old, very old. Probably has been in orbit around this planet since before the dinosaurs. I'd love to study it's A.I.”

“Then please return to the Ministry with us,” O'Shay asked. “We're hoping you might shed some light on this mystery.”

“Very well,” Umataro agreed. “Providing you give me unrestricted access to whatever computer equipment I deem necessary.”
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Dr. Tenma looked around the computer laboratory, nodding his head and scratching his chin. “You've made quite a few changes to the place since I've left.” He muttered, “and not all for the better.”

“You disapprove of my ideas?”, Reno asked.

“Not entirely,” Umataro smiled, “Perhaps I'm just being a bit old fashioned.”

The doctor sat down in front of one of the largest monitors and flexed his fingers. “OK, let's get to work here. Will someone show me what it is that I'm supposed to solve?”
Reno and Cobalt each stood on opposite sides of Astro's creator. Reno grabbed the mouse and quickly opened up several files. “Here are the data dumps I got from both Astro and Atlas, as well as one from Cobalt. You can see the influence from the Black Knight overlaid on top of their A.I. background.”

“Notice that there is a some kind of pattern here, that suggests a layering,” Cobalt replied. “Almost as if...”

“As if the A.I. was running on top of an emulator,” Tenma quickly injected.

“You saw it?” Reno quavered.

“At once.” Tenma said. “But then again, I've seen it before.”

“When you worked on Jetter Mars?” Ochanomizu asked.

“Hai,” Tenma nodded. “Though at the time I didn't delve very deeply into the matter. The Black Knight continued to remain inert and of no consequence, but that seems to have changed recently.”

“Yes, it has suddenly started to effect Astro, Atlas, and Cobalt.” the professor replied.

“We've come to the very disturbing conclusion that these A.I. tracings indicate something much deeper,” Cobalt explained, “As if what we think is real, is actually being simulated, and the Black Knight is the intersection between the real universe and ours.”

“Interesting,” Tenma laughed. “Give me some time, I'll need to perform some experiments in logic. Can you provide me access to Deep Quantum V?”

“That's the most powerful computer on the planet,” Ochanomizu gasped, “You know about it?”

“It's hardly a secret,” Tenma smirked, “I know the Ministry has access to it.”

“Very well,” the professor sighed, “I'll arrange for it. However, you'll have to access it behind my firewall, and you will be monitored.”

“I have no issues with that.”
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

“I trust him,” Astro told the professor.

“He won't be able to hack the computer,” Reno added, “Not the way I have the firewall configured.”

“You don't know Umataro, like I do,” Ochanomizu replied.

“He's changed.” Astro insisted. “I know.”

“Let's hope you're right,” the professor sighed, patting the boy robot on the shoulder.

Cobalt stood silently behind Dr. Tenma and watched. The doctor ignored the robot's presence as he quickly typed away at the keyboard. Hours passed as Dr. Tenma added additional subroutines and objects to his program, testing pieces of it and taking notes. Finally, he turned around and looked up at Kobaruto. “Would you mind getting me a glass of water?”

Cobalt nodded and left the room to run down the hallway. He returned within minutes carrying a large pitcher filled with ice water and a tall tumbler, and placed both on the table next to the computer terminal. Tenma quickly filled the glass and drained it almost as fast. “Arigatō,” he voiced, as he continued to work.

“He's been at it for hours,” Cobalt sighed, as he entered the professor's office, having left Dr. Tenma in the computer laboratory.

“Has he said anything?” Reno asked.

“Only to ask me to get him some water.” Cobalt replied. “I gave up watching over his shoulder, I was able to understand what he was attempting to do at first, but now he's way over my head.”

“I need more data,” Tenma stated as he entered Ochanomizo's office, “What you managed to capture from Astro's and Atlas's electronic brains barely scratched the surface. There must be more still there.”

“I doubt it,” Reno said, crossing his arms. “I was very thorough in my data search and download.”

“No offense,” Umataro replied, “but you are just a babe in the woods compared to me. In any event, I know Astro's A.I. much better than you ever will, I will be able to find what I need buried in his memory, where you never will.”

“Do you want to hook me up to the computer again, Sensei?” Astro asked.

“If you don't mind, Tobio,” Tenma said softly.

“OK,” Astro nodded.

Back in the computer laboratory, Dr. Tenma had Astro lay down on a soft couch that he had dragged out of the professor's office. He opened his chest panel and wired the boy robot up to the laboratory main frame computer. “I'll be feeding some impulses into your brain to stimulate suppressed memories for recall,” the doctor explained. “After running my computer experiments on the data I was already given, I know where to look.”

Cobalt looked on, “Don't you need to search in my memory, and in Atlas's?”, he asked.

“I doubt it,” Tenma said, “I know how Astro's brain is wired, after all I did build it. I've also seen the footprint of the Dark Knight's A.I. before. I'm sure I'll find what I need buried inside of my Tobio's brain. It's like a sponge, if he was touched by the alien's thoughts, he would have absorbed its patterns.”

Astro felt the world vaporize around him as Deep Quantum V invaded his mind. The super computer running Tenma's software peeled away layer after layer of the fog that hid what his electronic brain had stolen from its contact with the alien intelligence.

He imagined falling though the event horizon of a super dense rotating black hole, only to emerge into another universe. He found himself floating in orbit around a planet that looked much like the Earth, only with the continents somewhat rearranged. This world had two moons orbiting the planet, each one somewhat smaller than the one he was familiar with. The surface of the green and blue world was covered with life, life that had reshaped the planet much as human kind had the Earth he knew.

Astro drifted deeper into space. In a higher orbit was the Black Knight, or a satellite that could have been its twin. It was here too. He found himself in a highly elliptical orbit around the sun, a yellow dwarf somewhat larger than Sol. His velocity increased as he left the system, and passed though the Kuiper belt, into interstellar space. Once again, he found himself in the grip of a dark star and fell into the gravitational bottomless pit, only to be spat out the other end of the worm hole.

Again he found himself floating above the inner regions of yet another planetary system in orbit around a type K star. The cosmic roller coaster ride seemed to continue forever, to the point of making him dizzy as the speed of events passing by him increased. He grayed out as nausea overcame his system.

Astro opened his eyes to see Dr. Tenma disconnecting him from the super quantum computer's interface. “Are you OK, Tobio?”, Umataro asked, “You look a little green to me,”

“I think so, Sensei,” Astro said. “Did you get what you needed?”

“Indeed, I did,” Tenma smiled.

“So what does it all mean?” Cobalt asked, as he helped his brother get back on his feet.

“Fascinating,” Tenma smiled, “Very Fascinating!”
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

The Black Knight

Six

“For the next part of my experiment, I will require your assistance once again, Tobio,” Tenma said, “As well as that of Atlas and Kobaruto.”

“What do you intend to do?”, Dr. O'Shay asked.

“The Black Knight is merely an access point into something much larger,” the doctor explained. “Astro's mind has been connected to it, as well as that of Atlas and Cobalt. I intend to use the three of them in combination to hack into the alien machine. If I am correct, we will see come very interesting stuff.”

“I don't understand,” Reno asked.

“Very well,” Tenma explained, “Let me lay my cards on the table. You and Cobalt have guessed that the Black Knight is an access point into a computer simulation of the universe, of which we are apart of. Having created some of the robotics most sophisticated A.I.'s, I find it rather amusing that a greater intelligence might have created mine!”

“You sound like someone who as suddenly discovered religion and god,” the professor laughed.

“No,” Umataro said dryly, “Rather it's like I've discovered that God is no greater than I am.
God would be just another scientist as bright as myself who had programmed me into existence, the same way that I programmed scores of robots into being. And now, I will now attempt to prove that. You see, if we are really living inside of a computer simulation, then the rules of the universe are bound by the parameters of that simulation, and it also means that they can be changed.”

“Changed?” Reno gasped.

“Yes,” Tenma replied. “You see, if the Black Knight is really an access point, and given what I've found inside the data that it left behind in Astro's memory, I can use his electronic brain as a terminal into what lies behind that access point. Actually, I'll need Atlas's help, along with that of Kobaruto to get the required bandwidth.”

“I understand,” Cobalt voiced. “You'll be able to access the running code of the simulation itself, assuming that one is actually running this universe.”

“Exactly,” Tenma nodded. “Of course, there may not really be a simulation, the Black Knight could have planted a false trace into the brains of Astro, you, and Atlas. In any case, my proposed experiment will prove this one way or the other.”

Atlas scowled at Tenma, but he allowed the robot scientist to connect him to the computer. Cobalt and Astro had already been connected to the machine and lay on work tables on either side of the red and blue robot. Tenma activated his computer program and watched the data link on the terminal.

“I will now attempt to hack my way to the other side of this gateway,” the doctor explained.

“How will you know if you are successful?”, Reno asked.

“If this works I should be able to create a control point, and examine and modify the parameters of the simulation that we are in,” Tenma explained, “I should be able to change something subtle that we would notice.”

“I don't know if this is a good idea,” Dr. O'Shay said.

“We're in!”, Tenma exclaimed. “Look on the monitor screen, O'Shay.”

The Professor examined the data that Sensei Tenma was pointing to.

“See?” Umataro announced, “Now let's see if I can introduce a new parameter here, something small, but obvious enough to notice.”

“Wait a moment!”, O'Shay begged. “This may not be wise.”

“Afraid of the unknown, Professor?”, Tenma laughed.

“Have you ever read the story 'The Nine Billion Names of God', by Arthur C. Clark”, O'Shay asked.

“What do you mean?” Tenma asked.

“In that story, a bunch of computer scientists helped a group of monks complete what they thought was the task assigned to mankind by God. The result was not what they had expected.”
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Return to “Fan Creations”