Atom: The Beginning (2017 Anime Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Atom: The Beginning (2017 Anime Discussion)

Postby Shiyonasan » 7 years ago

This thread is for discussion about the anime for Atom: The Beginning. For discussion about the manga for Atom The Beginning, click the link below:

Atom The Beginning (Manga Discussion)

Official website

「アトム ザ・ビギニング」PV (First promo video)

Official Twitter account

Anime News Network article (leak)

Anime News Network article (reveal)

Official images:

click for spoilerImage

It is official. Articles that were briefly published on Infoseek and AnimeAnime.jp revealed that the Atom The Beginning anime is set to be released in the Spring of 2017 on NHK.

Here is some of the confirmed staff:

Last edited by Shiyonasan on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 am, edited 14 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

I hope Crunchyroll or some other streaming service will pick this up like they did with young Blackjack. Ochanomizu's hair looks like Uran's!
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 7 years ago

Promo video was just released, and the official website for the anime has just opened.

「アトム ザ・ビギニング」PV

Official website

Source: Anime News Network

Anime News Network wrote:Atom the Beginning Anime's 1st Promo Video, Story Intro Posted

Staff, spring 2017 premiere confirmed for anime based on "birth story" for Astro Boy

Tezuka Productions opened a website on Sunday for the anime adaptation of Tetsuro Kasahara's Atom the Beginning manga. The website confirms the previously listed staff and spring 2017 premiere date, and is also streaming a promotional video. The video features the narration: "This is a previously untold 'episode zero' story leading up to the birth of Astro Boy."

• Text: Original Concept: Osamu Tezuka
  • Text: Project Planning Collaboration & Supervision: Makoto Tezuka
  • Concept Works: Masami Yuuki
  • Manga: Tetsuro Kasahara
  • Text: Artificial Intelligence + ego-consciousness
  • Text: Bewußtsein [consciousness]
  • Text: Chief Director: Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass)
  • Text: Director: Tatsuo Sato (Bodacious Space Pirates)
  • Text: Series Script Supervisor: Jun'ichi Fujisaku (Blood+)
  • Text: Animation Production: OLM, Production I.G, Signal.MD
  • Text: Two young geniuses …
  • Text: A robot that each one aspired to make
  • Text: Umatarō Tenma
  • Text: God: A lifeform that surpasses humanity
  • Text: Hiroshi Ochanomizu
  • Text: Friend: An entity equal to humanity
  • Text: Is a heart necessary for a robot?
  • Narration & Text: This is a previously untold 'episode zero' story leading up to the birth of Astro Boy.
  • Narration & Text: Atom the Beginning
  • Text: Spring 2017
  • Text: TV anime set to air on NHK-General!

In Japan after a great calamity, there were two geniuses who dream of the future. One was Umatarō Tenma. The other was Hiroshi Ochanomizu.

The two labored day and night in robot research — Tenma to create a "god," and Ochanomizu to create a "friend." Thus a robot, A106, was born from their collaborative friendship. Would A106 really become a god, or a friend? The young brilliant duo glimpsed the impending future…

The anime's staff includes:

• Original Work: Osamu Tezuka
  • Project Planning Cooperation and Supervision: Makoto Tezuka
  • Concept Works: Masami Yuuki (Patlabor franchise, Birdy the Mighty)
  • Cooperation: Tezuka Productions
  • Chief Director: Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass, live-action Ajin film)
  • Director: Tatsuo Sato (Bodacious Space Pirates, Martian Successor Nadesico)
  • Series Composition: Jun'ichi Fujisaku (Blood+, Appleseed XIII)
  • Animation Production: OLM, Production I.G, Signal.MD
  • Character Design: Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Trigun, Basquash!)
  • Mechanical Design: Shinobu Tsuneki, Yoshihiro Ishimoto, Shinichi Miyazaki
  • Prop Design: Mebara, Asuna Imahashi, Taiyō Yoshida
  • Chief Animation Director: Hideki Ito
  • Color Key: Miho Tanaka
  • Art: Hiroshi Katō
  • 3DCG Director: Takaaki Sugano
  • Monitor Graphics: Takashi Aoki
  • Special Effects: Masahiro Murakami
  • Director of Photography: Teppei Satō
  • Editing: Yūki Honda
  • Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
  • Music: Noriyuki Asakura

Kasahara (Ride Back) launched Atom The Beginning in Shogakukan's Monthly Hero's magazine in December 2014 as a prequel of Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy manga. Tezuka's son Makoto Tezuka handles the editorial supervision of the manga, and the series is in collaboration with Tezuka Productions. Masami Yuuki (Patlabor the Mobile Police, Birdy the Mighty creator) is credited with "concept works" for the series. Shogakukan shipped the third compiled volume of the manga on June 3, and will ship the fourth volume on December 5.

The manga tells the story of what happens up until the birth of Astro Boy, and is considered an "episode zero" story.

Source: MoCa News

Update: Story synopsis and video transcript added.

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 7 years ago

This seems to have had a much tidier introduction to us than the reboot series.

I am about to explode with anticipation. (Also I can't believe the comic debuted almost two years ago!)
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Kitty Lue » 7 years ago

Ooo, this has got me really excited! I'd only recently heard of the manga of this, and now there's an anime of it set to release next year! ...just realizing that 2016 is almost over, as well... O.o
Even though I'm pretty sure it'll take a bit longer to get to English speakers like myself, that's still pretty close. :D

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 7 years ago

Yeah, it might take a while to get it in English.
At least I feel more confident about this one staying on track with the scheduled release date, probably because they have people and a network to air it on.
I wonder how closely the anime will follow the manga?

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

In the mean time, I can find and read the manga. xD
On how it follows the manga, I feel that there are upsides to both cases; if it follows it fairly closely, pretty much everything in the manga we'll get to see animated, and if it doesn't follow that closely, we'll get some new content. :D

Edit: I made a subtitle file out of the transcript for the promo video so I could show it to my sister with subs when she gets home from work.
If anyone's interested in having subs for it, the text in the "spoiler" can be pasted into Notepad, saved as type "All Files" with an extention of .srt and UTF-8 encoding to create the subtitle file. A YouTube downloader can be used to download the video, and if the video and subtitle file are saved with the same name, media players like VLC will automatically play the subtitles with the video when the video is opened.

click for spoiler1
00:00:03,800 --> 00:00:06,000
Original Concept: Osamu Tezuka

00:00:07,650 --> 00:00:10,500
Project Planning Collaboration & Supervision: Makoto Tezuka
Concept Works: Masami Yuuki
Manga: Tetsuro Kasahara

00:00:15,300 --> 00:00:16,850
Artificial Intelligence + ego-consciousness

00:00:16,850 --> 00:00:18,500
Bewußtsein [consciousness]

00:00:18,500 --> 00:00:20,000
Chief Director: Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass)

00:00:20,000 --> 00:00:21,700
Director: Tatsuo Sato (Bodacious Space Pirates)

00:00:21,700 --> 00:00:23,400
Series Script Supervisor: Jun'ichi Fujisaku (Blood+)

00:00:24,000 --> 00:00:26,000
Animation Production: OLM, Production I.G, Signal.MD

00:00:28,350 --> 00:00:30,600
Two young geniuses…

00:00:30,600 --> 00:00:32,900
A robot that each one aspired to make

00:00:34,500 --> 00:00:36,500
God: A lifeform that surpasses humanity

00:00:37,900 --> 00:00:39,500
Friend: An entity equal to humanity

00:00:40,950 --> 00:00:44,000
Is a heart necessary for a robot?

00:00:47,500 --> 00:00:53,000
This is a previously untold 'episode zero' story leading up
to the birth of Astro Boy.
Last edited by Kitty Lue on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wanted to say more without double-posting.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 7 years ago

Wow, thanks Kitty Lue!

If anyone needs help getting that working, I recommend YouTube Video and Audio Downloader for Firefox. If you configure it to download an audio track when a video-only track is selected, you can get it in MP4 1080p. FFMpeg is required to mux the audio and video, which I belive comes with CCCP.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:Wow, thanks Kitty Lue!

If anyone needs help getting that working, I recommend YouTube Video and Audio Downloader for Firefox. If you configure it to download an audio track when a video-only track is selected, you can get it in MP4 1080p. FFMpeg is required to mux the audio and video, which I belive comes with CCCP.

There is also youtube-dl which is a command line python program that works on windows, linux and mac (if you have python installed). You just have to supply the URL and output file name "youtube-dl [url] -o [filename.mp4]"
https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

BTW, youtube and youtube-dl seem to be involved in a constant tug of war with youtube constantly changing their download structure and the youtube-dl guys making mods so it still works. If the program stops working for you, then go check for an update! (This happens automaticly on Linux if you got the program from the distro's repository).

Thank's for the info, I didn't know how subs worked before. Your subs' worked almost perfectly. (some strange characters peeked in here and there.)
BTW, it works with SMplayer as well as VLC. I used LibreOffice writer to save and encode the text file (I think UTF8 is the default anyway).
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

"DrFrag" wrote:Wow, thanks Kitty Lue!

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:There is also youtube-dl which is a command line python program that works on windows, linux and mac (if you have python installed). You just have to supply the URL and output file name "youtube-dl [url] -o [filename.mp4]"
https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

BTW, youtube and youtube-dl seem to be involved in a constant tug of war with youtube constantly changing their download structure and the youtube-dl guys making mods so it still works. If the program stops working for you, then go check for an update! (This happens automaticly on Linux if you got the program from the distro's repository).

Thank's for the info, I didn't know how subs worked before. Your subs' worked almost perfectly. (some strange characters peeked in here and there.)
BTW, it works with SMplayer as well as VLC. I used LibreOffice writer to save and encode the text file (I think UTF8 is the default anyway).

Glad I could be of help! :D
I guess while we're listing YT downloaders, I usually use the website YouTube in MP4 for video downloads, which now has an HD option, though I believe it's 720p rather than 1080p. It tends to have a pop-up when hitting the download button in Chrome, but I've never really had problems coming from that. I think when I used Internet Explorer it actually blocked them, so for the purpose of using that site IE might actually be a better option.)
I think the mp3fiber website has video options as well. Given that they let you choose the quality of mp3, it might let you select video quality as well. If this is the case, I might switch to using this for video as well, since it doesn't have pop-ups.
About the subs, the odd characters may have had something to do with using different programs (though I can't be sure), since I only tested the outcome with Notepad and VLC, but either way I'm glad that they seem to have worked for the most part. I'm assuming they're still in sync with the video, then? :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”