Atom: The Beginning (2017 Anime Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 7 years ago

A bit of an update here: the voice actors for Hiroshi Ochanomizu, Umataro Tenma, and A106 have been announced. Also, there will be an event for the Atom the Beginning anime on March 26 at the AnimeJapan 2017 event in Tokyo.

Oh, and A106's name is apparently pronounced "A-ten-six".

Sources: Anime News Network, MoCa News

Anime News Network wrote:Atom the Beginning Anime Stars Yūichi Nakamura, Takuma Terashima

Yūki Inoue also stars in spring anime that tells prequel story to Astro Boy

The official website for the television anime adaptation of Tetsuro Kasahara's Atom The Beginning manga announced the show's main cast on Friday.

The show stars:

Yūichi Nakamura (Fairy Tail's Gray Fullbuster) as Umatarō Tenma

Takuma Terashima (Durarara!!'s Saburou Togusa) as Hiroshi Ochanomizu

Yūki Inoue (Tenshi no 3P's Kyō Mekui) as A106 (pronounced "A-ten-six")

The anime will have a stage event on March 26 at the AnimeJapan 2017 event in Tokyo.

Atom The Beginning's story takes place in Japan after a great calamity. There were two geniuses who dreamed of the future. One was Umatarō Tenma. The other was Hiroshi Ochanomizu. The two labored day and night in robot research — Tenma to create a "god," and Ochanomizu to create a "friend." Thus a robot, A106, was born from their collaborative friendship. Would A106 really become a god, or a friend? The manga and anime tell a prequel story leading up to the birth of Astro Boy.

The website began streaming the anime's first promotional video in November.

Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass, live-action Ajin film) is serving as chief director, and Tatsuo Sato (Bodacious Space Pirates, Martian Successor Nadesico) is directing the series in cooperation with Tezuka Productions. Osamu Tezuka's son, Makoto Tezuka, is in charge of project planning cooperation and supervision, and Masami Yuuki (Patlabor franchise, Birdy the Mighty) is credited with concept works. OLM, Production I.G, and Signal.MD are animating the series. Jun'ichi Fujisaku (Blood+, Appleseed XIII) is overseeing the series scripts, and Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Trigun, Basquash!) is the character designer.

The anime's additional staff includes:

• Mechanical Design: Shinobu Tsuneki, Yoshihiro Ishimoto, Shinichi Miyazaki
  • Prop Design: Mebara, Asuna Imahashi, Taiyō Yoshida
  • Chief Animation Director: Hideki Ito
  • Color Key: Miho Tanaka
  • Art: Hiroshi Katō
  • 3DCG Director: Takaaki Sugano
  • Monitor Graphics: Takashi Aoki
  • Special Effects: Masahiro Murakami
  • Director of Photography: Teppei Satō
  • Editing: Yūki Honda
  • Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
  • Music: Noriyuki Asakura

The musical duo After the Rain will perform the opening theme song "Kaidoku Funō" (Indecipherable). The anime is set to premiere in Japan this spring on NHK.

Kasahara (Ride Back) launched Atom The Beginning in Shogakukan's Monthly Hero's magazine in December 2014 as a prequel of Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy manga. Tezuka's son Makoto Tezuka handles the editorial supervision of the manga, and the series is in collaboration with Tezuka Productions. Masami Yuuki (Patlabor the Mobile Police, Birdy the Mighty creator) is credited with "concept works" for the series. Shogakukan shipped the fourth volume on December 5.

Secretsivekept
Metro City Citizen

Postby Secretsivekept » 7 years ago

Tenma just looks so dramatic I can't help but laugh XDD forever the drama queen

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

The description of how Tenma and Ochanomizo collaborated to create A106 sounds like the origin of Jeta Mars.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Kitty Lue » 7 years ago

New info on the series! :w00t:
I'm not sure if I thought this earlier, but Ochanomizu's hair in this reminds me a bit of Bem's, but with smaller "wings". :lol:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Found an article that gives a basic description of the main characters in Atom the Beginning:

Source: Crunchyroll

Crunchyroll wrote:Yuichi Nakamura and More Join the Cast of "Atom the Beginning"

TV anime adaptation based on "Astro Boy" prequel manga hits NHK in Spring of 2017

The principal cast members have been announced for Atom the Beginning, an upcoming TV anime based on the prequel series to Osamu Tezuka's classic Astro Boy manga. The main characters for Atom the Beginning include:

Yuichi Nakamura as Umataro Tenma. Tenma is a brilliant but arrogant graduate student who conducts robotics research at Lab 07 of Nerima University. Tenma has absolute confidence in his work, and he sometimes collaborates with Ochanomizu.

Takuma Terashima as Hiroshi Ochanomizu, a graduate student who also works at Lab 07 at Nerima University. Ochanomizu has a gentle and friendly personality, and he tends to get dragged along with whatever plans Tenma makes. Ochanomizu is known for his large nose and naturally curly hair, but his eccentric appearance often makes him unlucky with the ladies.

Yuki Inoue as A106 (pronounced "A-Ten-Six"), the 6th unit of the A10 robot series developed by Tenma and Ochanomizu. A106 is being developed according to the design philosophy of Lab 07's "Bewußtsein System" (Bewußtsein means "awareness" in German), which states that programming a robot with an ego will lead to it developing autonomous learning behavior.

[...]

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

Hmmm. Though I have all 6 volumes of the Tezuka Character guide, this is the 1st time I have seen Ochanomizu's given name. :lol:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

I don't think Tezuka ever did state a given name for Ochanomizu, only 'Hakase'. I'm glad the authors of this manga came up with an 'official' given name for him, it saves me the problem of making one up for use in my fan fiction stories.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 7 years ago

:o cha:

I know this is nit-picky . . . but I just don't get why they didn't make Ochanomizu's hair black/brown as indicated in the original manga (it was also in a 'fro).

That . . . . just . . . . bugs me somehow! :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Kitty Lue » 7 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I just don't get why they didn't make Ochanomizu's hair black/brown as indicated in the original manga (it was also in a 'fro).

Haha I thought something similar, but didn't think too much about it since they've changed some other character appearances over the years.
I also found it a bit odd that they made :tenma: and :o cha: about the same age in this. I guess the other series had their differences, too, so it won't really bother me. :lol:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

A few unofficial sites listed the release month as such, but now we have an official confirmation; the Atom The Beginning anime debuts in the month of April. We now have confirmation of an English release as well.

Sources: Crunchyroll, WTK, Showgate

Crunchyroll wrote:"Atom the Beginning" and "Grimoire of Zero" Featured on Showgate's English Language Site

Two upcoming series receive listings for English language international market.

Crunchyroll publisher Showgate has added two upcoming titles to its English-language listings: Grimoire of Zero (known in Japanese as Zero Kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho) and Atom the Beginning, the upcoming Astro Boy prequel.

[...]

Atom the Beginning:
Japan in the near future suffers an unexplained major disaster. Five years later, reconstruction is well underway.Two young researchers at a university are pinning all their hopes on robot development. Now their new interpretation of the eternal hero Astro Boy up until his birth is just about to start!

Both shows are due to start broadcasting in April in Japan, and it appears that they will be seen in the English-language market, too.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”