Jayrockin's Fanart

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

Jayrockin's Fanart

Postby jayrockin » 7 years ago

Hello! I'll be posting my Astro Boy and Tezuka art here. Cutting right to the chase, here are some Astros:

As I already mentioned in the Discord chat, I'm very interested in art and stylization. I drew these experimenting with how to compromise between Tezuka's cartoons and my own art. I normally draw fairly realistic people, like in the top image, but I feel like a detailed face doesn't work so well with Astro's anime hair. Maybe an approach like Pluto's Astro would work better.

I'm also a science major obsessed with knowing how things work, so I tried to figure out a different way for his arm jets to open... his hands basically disappear in canon and that's always bothered me. Unfortunately I'm a biologist and not a mechanical engineer, so I'm way out of my zone of expertise! :'o

I also posted redesigns for young Tenma and Ochanomizu of Atom: the Beginning in the manga thread, if you're interested in that: http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=242747&postcount=128

And to be clear: I love redesigns and re-imaginings of old material, but that doesn't at all mean I dislike the old designs. I love Tezuka's art and hope to eventually own all of the original Astro Boy comics (and even more of his work if possible). To me, good-spirited redesigns are all about celebrating the original material, finding new ways to appreciate it, and exposing it to new audiences. Let me know what your favorite interpretations of Tezuka's designs are! Naoki Urusawa's Pluto is one of my favorites.

Also, feel free to request I draw any characters from the canon. I have a busy schedule can't guarantee I will get to all requests, but I'd love to flex my artistic muscles on this!
tumblr@jayrockin·····twitter@jayrock5858

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 7 years ago

Ah I saw these on tumblr! Very nice style. Cute!

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Kitty Lue » 7 years ago

Just have to say again these turned out great :)
"jayrockin" wrote:And to be clear: I love redesigns and re-imaginings of old material, but that doesn't at all mean I dislike the old designs. I love Tezuka's art and hope to eventually own all of the original Astro Boy comics (and even more of his work if possible). To me, good-spirited redesigns are all about celebrating the original material, finding new ways to appreciate it, and exposing it to new audiences.

Yeah, I like finding some nice redesigns, it's interesting to see alternative versions. :)

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 7 years ago

I like how you have considered how Astro would move, I have always wanted to do that.

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

I've been watching the 80s series and reached the episode with a FRIENDLY PLANT ALIEN!! LOVE ME SOME WEIRD ALIENS

Also I've been doodling a lot of Atoms recently (which I'll probably post) but so far the design I drew here is my favorite. I'm fond of Atom with actual hair, it makes it more likely for him to be mistaken for human (and then the ensuing story scenarios from that).

Atom is sort of like Floret, in a way... they're both a non-human intelligence piloting cute human suits, mostly for the sake of the humans they interact with. Tenma made Atom look human for his own specific personal comfort, Floret made herself look human for diplomacy reasons. I think it's a neat parallel, I'm glad they have a weird sorta-friendship going on at the end of the episode.

It's funny how as an AI, Atom could potentially have any kind of body... what if instead of 'growing up' on human terms and requesting a teen or adult body, Atom upgraded into something completely different, like a starship? Like, his consciousness would be in a server room in the ship, but there could still be dozens of remote humanoid Atom robots he could control in order to interact with crew members. A concept: Atom takes the first multi generational, slower than light ship out of the solar system to the nearest inhabitable exoplanet. He is the size of new jersey and has millions of people living inside him. I'm incredibly proud of him

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 7 years ago

Then he'd be like HAL 9000.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

I finished the 80s anime and I think this was one of my favorite episodes, I have never in my life heard existential questions about god and the nature of AI vs biological intelligence asked so CHEERFULLY before...

DCookie
Kokoro Robot

Postby DCookie » 7 years ago

Oh!!I saw this on your Tumblr too!It totally made my night thank you :lol: !!

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

Re: Jayrockin's Fanart

Postby jayrockin » 6 years ago

A WHOLE LOTTA STUFF:

click for spoilerImage

DCookie
Kokoro Robot

Re: Jayrockin's Fanart

Postby DCookie » 6 years ago

You're working is looking awesome as always!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: