Mega Man can evolve...

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Mega Man can evolve...

Postby MegaAstroFan75 » 14 years ago

Yeah I keep bringing up Mega Man, but honestly the series is Astro's spiritual sister series so I think it's okay to talk about it, particularly if it links to Astro.

So we all know 2003's evil and creepy Tenma, trying to make Astro evolve etc. Well there's an interesting note here in both Mega Man and his younger brother X (who's designed like a 14 year old as opposed to Mega Man's 10). First of all both characters can copy weapons. So even more so than Astro, Mega Man and X have an amazing potential for growth and evolution. Mega Man could copy Astro's own weapons (machine gun butt even?), plus any other's.

X, being an upgrade on the original, even more has this potential and the remake of the first game, Mega Man X Maverick Hunter X, makes sure to note this and indeed the iteration of villain Sigma is quite similar to Tenma, being concerned with forcing X to grow and evolve. Even the usage of X is supposed to be a reference to the common usage of 'x' in mathematics where it can mean anything and thus has 'unlimited potential' which is ascribed to X.

Why am I mentioning this? Well it shows another link between Astro and Mega Man and as I've noted before, Astro and Mega Man together would be a very cute and very efficient and powerful team.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I know. Everyone has them fighting each other and I just think "Could you imagine if they fought together? No mad scientist could stand up to THAT!"

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

Them fighting each other makes very little sense, you're right. They're both pacifists, why would they do any unnecessary fighting? Also wouldn't they be so adorable working alongside each other and talking all technical and stuff. :D

Plus then there's two tushies eh Dragonrider?

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

LMAO Mega Man's tushy doesn't really do it for me but you're welcome to enjoy it D

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure Megaman was inspired more by Neo Human Casshan/Casshern. I've read it in interviews with Keiji Inafune, the game's creator. Not to say that there aren't a lot of similarities between Astroboy and Megaman.

MegaAstroFan75
Rocket Ball Champion

"Anapan" wrote:I'm pretty sure Megaman was inspired more by Neo Human Casshan/Casshern. I've read it in interviews with Keiji Inafune, the game's creator. Not to say that there aren't a lot of similarities between Astroboy and Megaman.

A. That's being picky.

B. What's to say Astro Boy wasn't another source of inspiration? The series is extremely famous in Japan, just insanely so (Astro's even been registered a Japanese citizen lol). To say that Astro Boy isn't a source of inspiration for Mega Man is ridiculous as Keiji would have grown up with Astro as well as Casshern.

C. That still doesn't stop the two from being sister series' especially considering the fact Rock was not built as a fighting robot, but as a robotic son. And you still didn't really contribute to the thread besides putting us down a bit.

EDIT: "The first Rockman game was originally intended to be the official video game of the popular Japanese franchise Astro Boy. Apparently, the owners of "Astro Boy" backed out of the deal with Capcom while the game was still in its early stages of production. Instead of dumping the project, Capcom and Keiji Inafune gave it a completely new flavor and created the Rockman character. The game was a hit on the Nintendo Famicom (The NES's title in Japan) and was imported to America and Europe, re-christened with the title "Mega Man". " - Mega Man Wiki

Hah!
Last edited by MegaAstroFan75 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

I could see multiple inspirations. I've done it

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Poor Skunk...you meet these two in a dark alley and it's deffinatly time to retire.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”