Who do you hate/dislike in Astroboy anime and why ?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

@Dr. Jerk - You make a good point (about the suicide thing and wanting to avoid putting that concept out there). If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Japanese have traditionally viewed upon the act of suicide differently from the West (it is an act you take upon yourself when you have dishonored your family, etc.?) I hadn't thought of that.

And, you're right, Astro DOES give him a hug, and he had every intention of saving him -- of course that's his nature/programming - but hearing "I forgive you" is what really made me lose it!! :cry:

AND YET
-- Tenma's reaction after Astro would have said "Don't die, father" is really dramatic (like he's shaken to the core). hmmm . . . I think you nailed it Dr. Jerk! :cool:

uh ooooh I see we've strayed off topic :( SORRY!! but that is an intriguing bit of info! :ninja:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Still, I was moved by "I forgive you"... which is kind of more touching than "don't die, dad!" :shifty:

However, it is still possible to see Tenma was attempting to commit suicide - I haven't seen the final episode in a while, but I still kind of remember that he tried to jump off just before. :unsure:

Also, "you're creepy" was extremely funny.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Androids101" wrote:Still, I was moved by "I forgive you"... which is kind of more touching than "don't die, dad!" :shifty:

No.

In the English dub, Astro says something about "Are you saying you planned this all along?" at one point and it doesn't make any sense. In the real dub, he says at this point "Are you saying that... But, you said you loved me!" He just understood that Tenma was going to commit suicide, and tells him he shouldn't do if he truly loved him.

So he approaches him and then, in the Japanese version, emphasis is put on Astro's arms wrapping over Tenma to give him a hug, which was cut in the English dub. Then, he says the famous line. The line is important in a number of ways, first, he acknowledges him as his father rather than calling him Doctor as usual. Tenma then realizes that, he may have been a terrible dad, but he still had a responsibility, a child who loved him despite his wrongs, and realizes what a terrible mistake he was about to commit. And so he breaks and falls on his knees in Astro's arms.

The episode is called "The Final Battle". They're trying to tell you that love is always what will save humanity in the end. Not unlike the Metropolis movie. Rock: "I won't let you kill my dad!" *presses button that saves humankind*

Speaking of which, anyone notice how Tima in Metropolis, once she meets with Duke Red, asks him if she's like those poor robots that she's seen mistreated the whole film, and he replies "You're not like those mere machines! You're special!". Astro in the last episode of the 2003 anime sees robots being discarded like scrap and tells Tenma he's also a robot, to which Tenma says the same thing as Duke Red.

I hope this clears up everything. ;)

By the way, yes, "You're creepy" was hilarious. But not something Astro would say.
I'm on Twitter.

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

Oh man, they cut parts from Atom's hug? The nerve. :mad:

Btw, what episode was the creepy line from? I much prefer the Japanese dub, but I might have to watch that episode in English just for that line. :cool:

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 13 years ago

"Xenops" wrote:Oh man, they cut parts from Atom's hug? The nerve. :mad:

Btw, what episode was the creepy line from? I much prefer the Japanese dub, but I might have to watch that episode in English just for that line. :cool:

Astro Boy 2003 - Episode 14 - The Fall Of Acheron

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=Androids101;120919]Still, I was moved by "I forgive you"... which is kind of more touching than "don't die, dad!" :shifty:

No.

In the English dub, Astro says something about "Are you saying you planned this all along?" at one point and it doesn't make any sense. In the real dub, he says at this point "Are you saying that... But, you said you loved me!" He just understood that Tenma was going to commit suicide, and tells him he shouldn't do if he truly loved him.

So he approaches him and then, in the Japanese version, emphasis is put on Astro's arms wrapping over Tenma to give him a hug, which was cut in the English dub. Then, he says the famous line. The line is important in a number of ways, first, he acknowledges him as his father rather than calling him Doctor as usual. Tenma then realizes that, he may have been a terrible dad, but he still had a responsibility, a child who loved him despite his wrongs, and realizes what a terrible mistake he was about to commit. And so he breaks and falls on his knees in Astro's arms.

The episode is called "The Final Battle". They're trying to tell you that love is always what will save humanity in the end. Not unlike the Metropolis movie. Rock: "I won't let you kill my dad!" *presses button that saves humankind*

Speaking of which, anyone notice how Tima in Metropolis, once she meets with Duke Red, asks him if she's like those poor robots that she's seen mistreated the whole film, and he replies "You're not like those mere machines! You're special!". Astro in the last episode of the 2003 anime sees robots being discarded like scrap and tells Tenma he's also a robot, to which Tenma says the same thing as Duke Red.

I hope this clears up everything. ;)

By the way, yes, "You're creepy" was hilarious. But not something Astro would say.[/QUOTE]

This,

Is the most powerful post in this entire thread, and perfectly sums up what I was trying to explain.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

I think I even have more to say.

One of the most well-done aspect of the 2003 series was making Astro into the most polite, and downright caring little boy you'll ever see. That is why "You're creepy", no matter how funny it may sound after Tenma's line which was made in the deepest voice possible, is simply NOT what Astro would say, ever.

Sure, some people find that Astro being too much of a goody-two-shoes is exactly what they don't like about him, but for anyone to not find Astro's depiction in the original Japanese version of this series to be totally endearing would need to have no heart.

For the record, here is the English produced pilot trailer for the series, and THIS IS WHAT 2003 ASTRO SHOULD SOUND LIKE IN ENGLISH. Not wise-cracking "Let's rocket!" guy.

If you'll allow me to repeat what I've said before: "Death to dubs!"

Sorry for being so off-topic, but this is an issue I take to heart. I find it sad that not enough people watch Astro Boy in its original language. The only good dub was the B&W series, but only because of Astro and Elefun.
I'm on Twitter.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

Ohhh nooo, he's so sweet!!! And I really do agree with you -- that "Creepy" remark is completely out of character (one reason it strikes us as funny).

Well, hopefully with the hard work of people like you, we can someday see Tezuka's real vision. We live in a "gangsta" age right now -- but Astro's real impact comes from his sublime innocence, pure heart and courageous soul. He's not in sync with what is cool right now. But that doesn't matter - he's got the stuff that lasts. Thanks for that link.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 13 years ago

No wonder i love ASTROBOY HE IS SO CARING and cute- and more important i love the people here- hard for me to hate/dislike anything in the ASTROBOY ANIME-that has the POTENTIAL FOR good that ASTROBOY has

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

The dub makes me die inside a little more every time I see it, so that's one thing I dislike about the franchise. And mind you, I love a good deal of the dubs out there...I can't watch Gun Frontier or Tetsujin 28 without their dubs amplifying the awesome.

However, I was watching "Atlas Strikes Back", and there's a part when Pavlos's ship is about to crash, but Atlas jumps in and attaches himself to part of the engine. Atlas says something like "I can't believe you'd help this crusty old man", to which Astro responds, with the happiest, most overjoyed face...

"We have to help!" And his actress sounds furious.

I was, too. If you watch that episode, it sounds more like the writers just played Mad Libs with it. I'll quote the worst line, using their abysmal names:

Zoran: "Is this really the biggest mall in the whole wide universe?!" *while looking at a street fair*
O'Shay: "Yes, until they build another one two miles from here."

Ugh, it's just...cringe-worthy. I have to agree with everything in F-Man's last post.
Last edited by Fauna on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”