Who do you hate/dislike in Astroboy anime and why ?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

See Fauna, that is exactly why I don't watch the English dub. :lol:

Ghost
Banned

Postby Ghost » 13 years ago

Well the 03 dub could of been far better. If it wasn't so gutted it would have been better. Voice wise, I thought Tenma's voice and Astro's voice were very good. However the exact lines and what the characters said is what bothers me.

I would kill for an uncensored 03 English dub with the original soundtrack. My biggest problem with the 03 dub is the SOUNDTRACK. I honestly don't understand why they had to replace such an awesome soundtrack with lame, spacey type techno music. Honestly, WHY?!?! The least they could have done was left the soundtrack alone, but no! Americans aren't allowed to hear good music that fits better.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

astrogirl0708
Kokoro Robot

Postby astrogirl0708 » 13 years ago

:astro: :o migosh can anyone draw astro

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:Sorry for being so off-topic, but this is an issue I take to heart. I find it sad that not enough people watch Astro Boy in its original language.

I'm pretty new to the fandom so maybe I'm just missing something, but I find it almost impossible to watch the original Japanese dub of any of the series. (If someone can kindly direct me, that would be awesome.)

I've pretty much exhausted Youtube and other streaming sites, including Nico Nico. And while I'm not in a position to spend a lot on DVDs at the moment, I still browsed Amazon and was pretty surprised at how many didn't include the original Japanese audio.

Even though certain voices irk me, I think all of the editing/"censoring" done in the 80's and 03 dub is what kills me the most. I was able to compare a few of the original Japanese episodes to the dub and it only makes me wonder what else I really missed. In particular, I found the original 2nd episode of the 80's series to be truly heartrending and couldn't believe that they basically edited out everything that made it so touching. And I'm sure this has been ranted about many a time, but the nonsensical episode order of the 03 dub is just awful. Someone got paid to mess it up THAT bad?

Okay, that said, I'm gonna go watch some more of the 60's dub now, ahahaha.

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

"wing area" wrote:[QUOTE=F-Man;120945]Sorry for being so off-topic, but this is an issue I take to heart. I find it sad that not enough people watch Astro Boy in its original language.

I'm pretty new to the fandom so maybe I'm just missing something, but I find it almost impossible to watch the original Japanese dub of any of the series. (If someone can kindly direct me, that would be awesome.)

I've pretty much exhausted Youtube and other streaming sites, including Nico Nico. And while I'm not in a position to spend a lot on DVDs at the moment, I still browsed Amazon and was pretty surprised at how many didn't include the original Japanese audio.

Even though certain voices irk me, I think all of the editing/"censoring" done in the 80's and 03 dub is what kills me the most. I was able to compare a few of the original Japanese episodes to the dub and it only makes me wonder what else I really missed. In particular, I found the original 2nd episode of the 80's series to be truly heartrending and couldn't believe that they basically edited out everything that made it so touching. And I'm sure this has been ranted about many a time, but the nonsensical episode order of the 03 dub is just awful. Someone got paid to mess it up THAT bad?

Okay, that said, I'm gonna go watch some more of the 60's dub now, ahahaha.[/QUOTE]
Glad you asked and now be relieved,type in Tudou, my friend is where you find the original,pure, and uncut episodes of the Astro boy 03 series here is the link ;) her name on YouTube is WindedMushroomOfDoom and she's been uploading this since I told her about the site and since Sony hasn't touched them so

http://www.tudou.com/home/_69176707/

enjoy ;)
Last edited by Astronomical girl on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing flaw
Unyongnekasayo

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I did read the Atom's Parents essay once, this is what my arguement was targetting at, especially since "Something something Atom having no robotic parents in 03 series is just sad" really bugged me.

Now, for the rest of the post...

Do you agree that in ALL versions:
Atom was initially loved and adored by his creator
Atom regarded this man as his father
Atom, as would any real boy, sought his attention and approval
Likewise, as would any real Boy, Atom would would think his papa was the best in the whole-wide world

I agree with this, especially since all of these are canon, especially in the manga and 60's series. I however cannot agree so much with number 4, since Atom didn't really actively consider Tenma to be 'the best man in the whole wide world', heck even in the AB Tales manga series, he showed some doubt early on which little by little had grown.

Also, don't get me wrong, I do fully realize what Atom had went through without his robotic parents, I had even watched episode 2, Colosso, of the 60's series as well. And again, I understand why Atom felt as such, and that why I had described him "like an orphan wanting foster parents" since that was exactly what he was, in a sense. And Atom had whole-heartedly accepted them...

However the manga and older anime series were a lot more simpler than the 03 series, and had themes that would be easier for young kids to understand. The 2003 series also had relatively easy-to-understand concepts as well, but had expanded more on them. I imagine that if he were presented robotic parents in the 03 series, regardless of how desperate he was for parents, there would still be at least be a little tension. There certainly would be in reality.

My argument was mostly to pertain to the 03 series anyhow, as I was trying to argue that "having no robotic parents in the 03 series" is not "sad". He already has a "father"-like figure in the animation, someone who loves him enough to run into the ministry about to be destroyed by Tenma. That love is real and natural, whereas Atom's robotic parents were programmed to love. The only thing close was that 'Mitchy' was later kidnapped by Tenma and reprogrammed to act like Hoshie, but that is still just programming, and acting.

That isn't the same. And Atom wanted real love, which he had gotten in the 2003 series.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but here it is:

With regards to your last paragraph, Dr. Jerk, whether or not his parents were 'programmed' or not, they, especially papa, still had much to learn, not only about parenting, but just about everything else also. Moreover, as made clear in the CHRONICLES, Atom, though desirous of human companionship, wanted friendship of robots. Granted, the CHRONICLES did place him in a unique situation, with Tenma demanding he shun other robots & associate only with humans, but he did seek those of his own kind. In the 1980s, he was elated to have met Nuka, as she was to have met him. I recall hearing about a controversy in Gallaudet University, which has an all deaf student body. The students were furious that a non-deaf person was elected to a high position -- it could have been dean, but I have forgotten-- because they assumed and desired that a deaf person would hold that office. Only a deaf person could relate to other deaf people, or, so they reasoned.

I well know what it is like to be the only cripple in a company of 700 employees, as I also know about being the only crippled boy in the whole school. It is rather unpleasant, to say the least. While I certainly wanted acceptance among those others, it would have been easier if I were not the only one of my kind. I personally identify with Atom because I experienced similar situations. When I was little, I did not even know if there were others crippled as I was, until 5th grade when I transferred to a school with a homeroom filled with other crippled kids. I admit that I was a bit grossed-out by some of them, but most were not thus. I was one of only two --as far as I can recall, who could walk without canes or crutches.

I was a half-breed in a way; as I towered over those in wheelchairs, I was not interested in whatever playground activities were appropriate for the wheelchair-bound kids, but was not good enough to play team games such as kickball with the normal kids. If I was picked at all, it was dead last; if there was an odd # of kids, be sure that I was left out. :(

"F-Man" wrote:Speaking of which, anyone notice how Tima in Metropolis, once she meets with Duke Red, asks him if she's like those poor robots that she's seen mistreated the whole film, and he replies "You're not like those mere machines! You're special!". Astro in the last episode of the 2003 anime sees robots being discarded like scrap and tells Tenma he's also a robot, to which Tenma says the same thing as Duke Red.

I hope this clears up everything. ;)

By the way, yes, "You're creepy" was hilarious. But not something Astro would say.

Metropolis influenced the Tezuka versions of MIGHTY ATOM, which then influenced the film version of Metropolis, which in turn, influenced the 2003 MIGHTY ATOM, especially the city's appearance. :lol:

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Fine I agree that Atom was a special case, though I'm still leaning a bit to my own argument.

Honestly I don't know what else to say.

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

I had rewatched the '08s series and just remembered how much I didn't like Hamegg. I also hated some of the voice actors from the '80s series. It's like they took the actors for their voices, not realizing that they sound like they are reading off of a script with a low reading level.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Fine I agree that Atom was a special case, though I'm still leaning a bit to my own argument.

Honestly I don't know what else to say.

Agree to disagree. :lol:

I understand your POV; the 1st person he knew was Tenma, & he knew him as his papa for varying lengths of time, depending on the version. Because Atom had a human papa, he should want to be adopted by a human couple. It does make sense, but only to a point. When the human(s) begin(s) to have expectations that a robot child cannot meet, they realize that they made a mistake in adopting him. ADULT SWIM occasionally shows a short clip of a Japanese robot girl, so we may not have long to wait for real answers.

Mikelarc
Kokoro Robot

Postby Mikelarc » 9 years ago

i hate that niki dies, and in the version 2003 astro no have guns in the rear

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”